Cameron Buchanan

Cameron Buchanan


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Cameron Buchanan nasceu em Holytown em 31 de julho de 1928. Atacante interno que se juntou ao Wolverhampton Wanderers e o gerente do clube, Major Frank Buckley, o escolheu para jogar no time titular em setembro de 1942. Aos quatorze anos e cinquenta e sete dias ele era provavelmente o adolescente mais jovem a jogar por um clube da Football League. Buchanan disputou 12 jogos durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial.

Buchanan não conseguiu voltar para a primeira equipe e em 1949 ingressou no Bournemouth. Ao longo das próximas cinco temporadas marcou 18 gols em 83 jogos. Ele também jogou brevemente pelo Norwich City antes de se mudar para o Canadá.


A História do Lewisburg Hotel

Fundado originalmente em 1834, este hotel fica na rua principal do centro de Lewisburg. Com fácil acesso ao canal da Pensilvânia, à Old East-West Turnpike e a duas ferrovias principais, o hotel oferece acomodações para gerações de viajantes. Todos os governadores da Comunidade da Pensilvânia de 1831 e # 8211 1901 foram considerados convidados, bem como notáveis ​​nacionalmente conhecidos da Victorian University of Lewisburg em 1846 (mais tarde renomeada Bucknell University).

O hotel foi a casa do primeiro presidente da Universidade e os primeiros exercícios de graduação foram realizados nas instalações em 1851. Os membros do conselho de curadores presentes incluíam o senador dos Estados Unidos Simon Cameron e James Buchanan. Buchanan tornou-se o décimo quinto presidente dos Estados Unidos cinco anos após sua visita. Após sua compra por William Cameron em 1874, o hotel ficou conhecido como Cameron House por mais de sessenta anos. Após esta propriedade, as portas foram fechadas ao público para uma renovação de dois anos, na qual a afluência do Norte do Pós-Guerra Civil continua em evidência até hoje.

O registro de convidados, após a virada do século, incluía figuras do esporte Jim Thorpe, John McGraw e Christy Mathewson, e das artes cênicas, poetas notáveis ​​como Walt Whitman e a cantora Marian Anderson, bem como a maioria das & # 8220Big Bands & # 8221 da década de 1930 & # 8217s, 40 & # 8217s e 50 & # 8217s. Após 150 anos servindo a comunidade, o hotel novamente fechou suas portas em 1993.

Em outubro de 1995, o Lewisburg Hotel foi comprado por Norm e Nancy Buck. Após extensas reformas, o hotel foi reaberto em novembro de 1997. O hotel é o único em Lewisburg a resistir à devastação do tempo e do progresso. O carpete macio, o latão polido e a madeira distinta refletem o período em que uma obscura cidade ribeirinha estava sendo transformada em elegância vitoriana.

As instalações atuais agora combinam uma história fascinante com as comodidades e serviços atuais.

Visitantes notáveis ​​recentes do hotel incluem Ralph Nader, Kevin Bacon, Kevin Costner, Janet Leigh, o senador Santorum, o governador Rendell, Tony Hawk, Ed Ott e Steve Kline.

Com nossa equipe experiente e dedicada e as expressões culinárias do chef & # 8217s, você descobrirá que sua experiência gastronômica aqui no Lewisburg Hotel será memorável.


HistoryLink.org

As Tribos Tulalip são uma tribo indígena reconhecida federalmente localizada na Reserva Tulalip ao norte de Everett e a oeste de Marysville. Os limites da reserva estabelecidos pelo Tratado de Point Elliott de 1855 deram um lar permanente para Snohomish, Snoqualmie, Skykomish, Stillaguamish e tribos relacionadas “Dxwlilep,” a palavra Salish da Costa, significa baía de boca pequena. Em 1857, o missionário católico romano Eugene Casimir Chirouse (1821-1892) fundou a Missão de St. Anne e a escola para meninos em Tulalip, e as Irmãs da Providência acrescentaram uma escola para meninas em 1868. Seguiu-se um colégio interno indiano administrado pelo governo. De 1900 ao seu fechamento em 1932. Desde 1936, as Tribos Tulalip têm seu próprio conselho tribal e atualmente são autônomas. Historicamente ganhando sustento com a pesca, os Tulalips lucraram mais nos últimos anos com seu sucesso no mercado imobiliário e no negócio de cassinos, que fornecem empregos principalmente para membros tribais. Hoje, a Reserva Tulalip tem uma população de 9.000 (3.600 membros tribais) e uma base de terra de 22.086 acres.

Locais de Aldeia Primitiva

Os primeiros exploradores e anciãos tribais deixaram relatos de aldeias indígenas na região de Puget Sound. Eles estavam localizados ao longo dos rios e baías, as vias navegáveis ​​de conexão para alimentos, cultura e comércio. Os Snohomish e tribos relacionadas habitavam principalmente terras próximas ao que se tornou a Reserva Tulalip. Em meados de 1800 - antes do Tratado de Point Elliott - a maior e mais importante aldeia Snohomish era Hibulb ou Hebolb (hee-BOH-luhb) localizado na ponta noroeste da atual Everett, na Baía de Port Gardner perto da foz do rio Snohomish. Aqui estava uma paliçada protetora cercada por quatro casas grandes de tábuas de cedro, cada uma com 30 x 40 pés de tamanho, e uma grande casa de potlatch.

Outras aldeias de Snohomish localizavam-se ao norte até o que hoje é Warm Beach, a oeste das ilhas Camano, Hat Island e Whidbey, e no interior seguindo rotas fluviais. As aldeias incluíam um local sem nome ao sul da foz do rio Stillagumish em Warm Beach twTOE-hob perto de Warm Beach k'WHABS na costa noroeste de Tulalip Bay em SPEE-bee-dah WHESH-ud em Camano Head TSEHT-skluhs em Sandy Point , Ilha Whidbey próxima à atual Langley D'GWAD'wk, lado leste de Cultus Bay na Ilha Whidbey tsuht-TSAHL-ee na extremidade noroeste da Ilha Hat tw'LAY-lup em Tulalip Bay ts'LAHKS em Priest Point kwul- KWUL-oo entre Priest Point e Quilceda Creek, e kwil-SEE-duh na foz de Quilceda Creek.

Os locais do rio estavam em sbah-DAHLH, onde Snohomish é hoje um local sem nome ao norte de sbah-DAHL tb'TSAH em Machias, um local sem nome no atual Cathcart TAH'kw-tuh-tsid, a sudoeste de Monroe e suh-TUH-kahd, a jusante de TAH'kw-tuh-tsid.

Diz-se que uma aldeia na Ilha de Camano existia antes do grande deslizamento de 1825, quando um grande pedaço da ponta sul de Camano deslizou para o Estreito da Possessão. Uma onda resultante do deslizamento afogou muitos na vizinha Hat Island. Depois disso, os índios usaram o local apenas para clamming sazonal.

D’GWAD’wk foi relatado como uma aldeia importante no início de 1800. Este local da Ilha Whidbey em Cultus Bay tinha uma casa potlatch e cinco malocas. Muitos dos membros da tribo Tulalip de hoje tinham famílias que viveram na Ilha Whidbey.

Promessas de tratado atrasadas

Embora o Tratado de Point Elliott de 1855 tenha estabelecido a Agência Tulalip e suas reservas em Tulalip, Lummi, Swinomish e Port Madison, as promessas do tratado do governo levaram anos para chegar. O subchefe Bonaparte de Snohomish expressou frustração com a lentidão da ajuda governamental. Com 22.000 acres, Tulalip era a maior reserva e servia como o centro regional da Agência Indígena com uma prometida escola indígena agrícola e industrial.

Enquanto o governo atrasava, a maioria dos nativos de Snohomish mudou-se para Tulalip, onde alguns nativos já viviam. O tratado foi finalmente ratificado em 1859, mas as tribos tiveram que esperar mais dois anos por qualquer apoio do governo devido à confusão sobre a política e corrupção dentro do Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA).

O assentamento de Tulalip Bay

Os primeiros colonizadores John Gould (1823-1900), Jehial Hall, Charles C. Phillips (1824-1867), o caçador da Baía de Hudson Peter Goutre (1804-1875) e o pioneiro de Seattle Dr. Wesley Cherry (? -1854) construíram uma pequena água serraria elétrica em Tulalip Bay em 1853. Dois anos depois, os limites da Reserva Tulalip incluíam este local da fábrica e o governo federal pediu aos inquilinos que se mudassem. A Tulalip Tribes começou a operar a serraria.

Os primeiros missionários a se estabelecerem na região do rio Snohomish foram o Padre Eugene Casimir Chirouse (1821-1892), Oblatos de Maria Imaculada, (OMI), assistido pelo Padre Darieu (OMI). Chirouse foi atribuído pela primeira vez na área de Cayuse, mas foi transferido para Olympia após um levante indiano. Em seguida, Chirouse foi enviado para estabelecer uma missão em Tulalip.

Ele e o padre Darieu chegaram em 1857, abrindo uma missão e uma escola para meninos em Quil Ceda, na foz de Ebey Slough. A missão e a escola de St. Anne foram transferidas para Priest Point (em homenagem a Chirouse) e, em seguida, para seu local final em Tulalip Bay, onde os paroquianos construíram uma igreja de troncos e uma escola. Durante a epidemia de varíola de 1862, Chirouse relatou ter vacinado 400 índios em Tulalip. Apenas três morreram, um número pequeno em comparação com as muitas mortes em aldeias indígenas próximas.

Em 1868, as Irmãs da Providência se juntaram ao Chirouse em St. Anne's, abrindo uma escola para meninas, Providence of Our Lady of Seven Dolors. Um ano depois, o governo alocou dinheiro para sustentar a escola, tornando a St. Anne’s Mission a primeira escola indiana dos Estados Unidos. Em 1902, a missão foi totalmente destruída pelo fogo. Dois anos depois, uma nova igreja da Missão de St. Anne (atualmente no Registro Nacional de Lugares Históricos) tomou seu lugar no mesmo local, inaugurando em 23 de janeiro de 1905.

Os membros da tribo lembram o Padre Chirouse como uma presença gentil e constante. Ele aprendeu o dialeto Lushootseed falado em Tulalip e muitas vezes serviu como árbitro e tradutor.

Indian Boarding School

No início dos anos 1900, o Bureau of Indian Affairs procurou separar as afiliações da igreja com as escolas nas reservas indígenas. Em 1901, o governo começou a operar a escola em Tulalip, construindo uma nova estrutura que servia também como sede da Agência Indígena regional. A escola foi planejada para acomodar mil alunos, atendendo a todos os índios do oeste das Cascades. Na realidade, só podia abrigar 75. Havia dormitórios separados para meninos e meninas. Enquanto as meninas aprendiam a cozinhar, costurar e cuidar da casa, os meninos aprendiam profissões profissionais. Algumas aulas foram ministradas usando o método Montessori.

Na tentativa de suprimir a cultura indígena, o governo operou a escola em estilo militar e a experiência para os Tulalips foi brutal. Os alunos eram submetidos a marchas diárias e punidos por falarem sua língua nativa e praticarem os costumes nativos. Hoje, as Tribos Tulalip oferecem sessões em grupo para ex-alunos que, como idosos, ainda estão lidando com as cicatrizes dos tempos de internato.

A escola foi oficialmente fechada em 1932, seus prédios principais demolidos e os alunos absorvidos pelo sistema escolar de Marysville. Tulalip Elementary localizado na Reserva Tulalip, faz parte das escolas de Marysville e os alunos mantêm um site das tradições, língua e histórias dos índios Tulalip.

Igreja Shaker de Tulalip

Tulalips também tinha uma igreja indiana Shaker. Sem relação com a mais conhecida seita protestante de mesmo nome, esta era uma religião messiânica de cura fundada em 1881 no noroeste do Pacífico. Uma mistura de catolicismo, protestantismo e ritual nativo, seus seguidores sofreram anos de perseguição antes de serem autorizados a praticar suas crenças abertamente. A Igreja Shaker de Tulalip foi construída em 1924 e, ao longo dos anos, os membros alimentaram e vestiram os pobres e mantiveram seus cultos abertos a todos. Colocada no Registro Nacional na década de 1970, a estrutura original da igreja sobreviveu até 2008, quando os membros decidiram que estava muito deteriorada para ser usada.

As Tribos Tulalip consideram esta igreja parte de sua herança e, nesse espírito, doaram dinheiro para construir uma nova igreja e salão de banquetes no estilo original. Os membros da igreja queimaram o antigo prédio em uma cerimônia e salvaram suas cinzas. Quatrocentas pessoas - muitos eram índios shakers de toda a região - compareceram à inauguração da igreja em um dia chuvoso em 7 de novembro de 2008.

Cedro e salmão

As florestas que atraíram colonos brancos para o noroeste do Pacífico por seu potencial econômico tiveram grande significado cultural para as tribos nativas regionais. Thuja plicata, o Cedro Vermelho Ocidental, foi de grande importância, usado com moderação para casas, canoas, roupas e arte. E por milhares de anos esses nativos tiveram uma cultura pesqueira altamente desenvolvida. Sua arte e histórias giravam em torno de bosques, água e criaturas que habitavam esses lugares.

Rios e baías forneciam alimentos abundantes e os conectavam a oportunidades comerciais tão ao norte quanto o rio Fraser. Os peixes incluíam cinco tipos de salmão (primavera, jubarte, prata, cachorro e sockeye), bem como truta prateada, solha, truta, pedra e bacalhau. O litoral oferece amêijoas, ostras e caranguejos. Os índios do interior caçavam veados e alces e coletavam muitas variedades de bagas, samambaias e raízes. As taboas eram especialmente importantes para a tecelagem de esteiras que cobriam as residências de verão.

Embora grande parte do discurso tenha se perdido na tradução no Dia do Tratado de 1855, uma coisa que os índios entenderam foi que podiam continuar a pescar, caçar e comerciar em seus lugares tradicionais. No entanto, essas promessas de tratado seriam contestadas por décadas. Em 1915, um índio Tulalip foi preso por caça em terras de reserva questionáveis. O agente indiano Tulalip Charles Buchanan escreveu ao Legislativo do Estado de Washington lembrando-os dos direitos dos tratados tribais.

Pesca e Direitos de Pesca

O desenvolvimento crescente com sua exploração madeireira, dragagem, represas, sistemas de esgoto e edifícios industriais e residenciais destruíram o habitat de peixes e animais selvagens. Também havia dinheiro a ser ganho pelos colonos que chegavam na pesca comercial e tanto os imigrantes escandinavos quanto os croatas em Puget Sound encontraram boas oportunidades com base em suas próprias tradições pesqueiras. Em 1930, escadas de peixes foram instaladas em barragens estaduais, para permitir que os peixes navegassem nas barragens.

Vários casos de teste abordaram os direitos de pesca indianos do estado, especificamente uma decisão da Suprema Corte de 1968, Puyallup Tribes v. Washington Department of Game, permitindo que o estado regulasse a pesca indígena para fins de conservação, uma decisão de 1973 da Suprema Corte dos EUA dando aos índios o direito de pescar truta prateada, e o famoso 1974 EUA v. Estado de Washington decisão - a Decisão Boldt - que manteve os direitos do Washington Indian Tribal de co-gerenciar os recursos pesqueiros e alocar aos membros da tribo 50 por cento dos peixes pescados.

A pesca fornecia um bom dinheiro sazonal para os Tulalips até meados da década de 1970, quando as populações de peixes estavam diminuindo drasticamente e as tribos competiam com grandes operações de pesca comercial. Bernie Kai-Kai Gobin, membro da tribo Tulalip, montou uma pequena incubadora de peixes no quintal da reserva, tornando os Tulalips uma das primeiras tribos indígenas a possuir e operar um incubatório. O Bernie Kai-Kai Gobin Fish Hatchery é agora uma grande e significativa empresa administrada por tribos, liberando três espécies de salmão na área de pesca terminal e próximo à Reserva Tulalip, bem como para outras pescarias comerciais e esportivas em Washington e British Columbia.

Hoje, a área de pesca considerada "usual e acostumada" das Tribos Tulalip se estende da fronteira canadense 120 milhas ao sul até o extremo norte da Ilha Vashon. O Departamento de Recursos Naturais de Tulalips supervisiona um programa agressivo de gestão de pesca. Sua visão de longo prazo é a restauração da produção de salmão selvagem a níveis que sustentem a pesca cerimonial, de subsistência e comercial sem a colheita excessiva do salmão selvagem. As Tribos Tulalip trabalham para proteger e perpetuar os recursos dos quais seu povo dependeu por milhares de anos.

Língua e cultura tulalip

Os danos infligidos à cultura nativa da região, tanto por doenças quanto pelo desenvolvimento, não podem ser exagerados. Possivelmente, as tribos que compunham as Tribos Tulalip já tiveram uma alta arte decorativa, mas se o fizeram, este trabalho não sobreviveu. O que sobreviveu são exemplos de suas artes aplicadas, como ferramentas, cestas, roupas e canoas e tradição oral.

As tribos Tulalip têm trabalhado para coletar e preservar histórias e costumes tribais. Um grande portador de cultura foi William Shelton (1868-1938). Parte Snohomish e parte Skay-whah-mish, Puyallup e Wenatchee, Shelton foi criado na Reserva Tulalip por pais que lhe ensinaram línguas e histórias tribais. Ele se matriculou no Indian Boarding School aos 17 anos para aprender "a educação dos brancos" (Everett Daily Herald, 2 de janeiro de 1914). Ele continuou lá até os 21 anos de idade e ganhou o respeito dos agentes do governo em Tulalip, que o fizeram serrador no Moinho de Tulalip. Lá ele aprendeu carpintaria e artes de moinho.

William Shelton entrevistou anciãos tribais e coletou suas histórias. Ele esculpiu um mastro de história, cada figura representando uma história contada por informantes. Shelton construiu vários postes, um deles colocado em Everett na década de 1920. Ele passou sua vida tentando unir as duas culturas que ele amava e ele foi uma figura chave na preservação da cultura Tulalip Tribal. A filha de Shelton, Harriette Shelton Dover Williams (? -1991), continuou o trabalho de seu pai e foi importante para reviver a Primeira Cerimônia do Salmão das Tribos em 1979, que mais uma vez é uma celebração anual. O acadêmico Lawrence Rygg entrevistou Harriette na década de 1970 e seu manuscrito conta a história dela. Mas Harriette escreveu sua própria versão, que a University of Washington Press está atualmente (2008) considerando para publicação.

Ao longo dos anos, membros das Tribos Tulalip foram entrevistados por pesquisadores e acadêmicos cujo trabalho promoveu a preservação cultural. Mas as contribuições diárias contínuas vêm de membros tribais, como a Diretora de Comunicações Lita Sheldon e See-Yaht-Sub o editor do jornal e historiador Sherrill Williams Guydelkon (1946-2008), que coletou e compartilhou as histórias de vida de muitos anciãos tribais. Toby Langdon e o Departamento de Recursos Culturais das Tribos Tulalip (Hank Gobin, Diretor) contribuíram substancialmente para a preservação do dialeto Lushootseed, que agora é ensinado nas aulas e em Youtube.

Os contadores de histórias Vi Hilbert e Johnny Moses têm raízes familiares com tribos em Tulalip e compartilham suas histórias culturais. As Tribos Tulalip juntaram-se a outros índios da região para celebrar o Centenário do Estado de Washington em 1989 com Paddle to Seattle, a primeira viagem de canoa compartilhada. Este é agora um evento anual para a família de canoas de Tulalip, que constrói e repara as canoas, depois treina e conclui a jornada. A comemoração termina com um grande potlatch.

As riquezas do Tulalip Casino tornaram possível um museu. Atualmente, as tribos estão construindo um Centro Cultural Hibulb de US $ 19 milhões, com inauguração programada para abril de 2009. Com uma instalação de curadoria de 10.000 pés quadrados, o museu abrigará relíquias de família, incluindo cestas, tecidos e fotografias. O Centro está localizado em um local de 52 acres que também é uma Reserva de História Natural de pântanos de estuário com cedro e outras árvores da floresta, bem como um pomar e um riacho com salmão.

Em 2007, o Departamento de Recursos Naturais e Culturais das Tribos anunciou que tentaria obter o status de direitos autorais de suas histórias tribais.

Independência Tribal

O Tratado de Point Elliott estabeleceu a Reserva Tulalip como uma confederação de tribos relacionadas. Ao fazer isso, as Tribos Tulalip foram reconhecidas como a entidade soberana, não as tribos individuais que as compõem. Estruturada sob o controle do governo nos primeiros anos, as tribos tinham pouco controle sobre suas vidas.

A reserva Tulalip serviu como agência governamental regional sob vários agentes indianos. O Dr. Charles Milton Buchanan (? -1920) serviu como superintendente de 1900 até sua morte em 1920 e foi seguido por August F. Duclos, Walter F. Dickens, Fred A. Gross, Oscar C. Upchurch e Raymond T. Bitney.

A Lei de Reorganização Indiana de 1934 permitiu que as tribos criassem seus próprios conselhos de governo. Tulalip Tribes redigiu um estatuto e regimento interno, aprovado em 2 de janeiro de 1936 e ratificado em 3 de outubro. O Conselho de diretores da Tulalip é composto por sete membros.

No início de outubro de 1950, o escritório da Agência Indígena Tulalip foi transferido para Everett, primeiro estabelecendo-se na 3rd Street com a Rockefeller Avenue e depois mudando-se para o Federal Building na Colby Avenue. O Conselho das Tribos Tulalip atualmente opera na reserva.

Imobiliário e Boom City

A propriedade privada da terra - um conceito antes estranho ao pensamento indiano - começou a ser adotado pelas tribos como uma forma de controlar seus próprios destinos. As Tribos Tulalips 'se aventuraram tanto no mercado imobiliário quanto na venda de fogos de artifício. Os membros tribais viram o potencial do dólar em ambas as atividades, uma vez que a propriedade com vista para o mar era escassa e grandes fogos de artifício foram proibidos no estado de Washington, exceto em reservas indígenas.

Os nativos sofreram os efeitos da Lei Dawes Variousty de 1887, uma das primeiras tentativas do governo de transformar os índios em agricultores. Sob a Lei Dawes, os membros tribais poderiam receber lotes de terra - 160 acres para agricultura, 80 para criar gado e 40 para uso normal de vida. Tulalip distribuiu todas as suas terras de reserva, mas ao longo dos anos muitos acres foram vendidos para membros não tribais.

Já em 1929, os Tulalips começaram a se interessar pelo negócio de resorts e por garantir a propriedade da Tideland. A Lei de Reorganização Indiana de 1934 permitiu que as tribos formassem cooperativas e os Tulalips começaram a arrendar terras na Baía de Tulalip em 1939.

Uma nova direção veio em 1954 sob o líder tribal Sebastian Williams, que montou um consórcio de negócios Tulalip, Tulalip Tribes, Inc., um departamento separado dentro das Tribos Tulalip que começou a alugar lotes para casas de verão. O departamento adquiriu o Mission Beach Resort com seus barcos de pesca, café e loja que foi inaugurado em 1929 por Joseph Coy e Hubert Coy, na época o único resort na costa do Pacífico pertencente e operado por índios da reserva.

Casas de veraneio e residências permanentes se multiplicaram na reserva nas décadas seguintes. Pessoas não tribais podiam ter suas próprias casas, mas alugavam terras das tribos Tulalip ou de famílias tribais individuais que haviam tomado cotas. O dinheiro do aluguel foi usado para melhorias na propriedade da reserva, programas de assistência social, bolsas de estudo, subsídios para sepultamento e empréstimos para membros tribais. Embora o arrendamento tenha dado aos Tulalips a renda necessária, um negócio ruim da perspectiva das Tribos ocorreu em 1982, quando eles emitiram arrendamentos de 30 anos a preços da década de 1980, com data de vencimento em 2012.

O Boom City de Tulalip beneficia diretamente indivíduos e famílias tribais. Começando há mais de 30 anos com apenas 12 estandes, o negócio cresceu para mais de 150 estandes. Boom City fornece renda substancial para membros tribais. Esse dinheiro foi particularmente importante na década de 1980, quando a taxa de desemprego das Tribos no inverno atingiu 50% e 25% na temporada de pesca. Originalmente localizada perto da Baía de Tulalip, Boom City agora se instala atrás da Vila Quil Ceda. Longe de casas e mais perto da Interestadual 5, esta localização diminui o congestionamento do tráfego todo mês de julho e é considerada mais segura para os residentes da reserva.

Um shopping center, um hotel e cassinos

Tulalips modestamente se aventurou na indústria de jogos quando abriu uma sala de bingo em 13 de junho de 1983, mas seu destino econômico mudou quando uma lei federal foi aprovada em 1988 que permitia os mesmos tipos de jogos de azar em reservas que eram permitidos em outras partes do estado. Os líderes da Tulalip imediatamente começaram a planejar um cassino para criar empregos com salários decentes para os membros das tribos.

O primeiro cassino de Tulalip foi inaugurado em 20 de julho de 1992, com 23 estações de jogo de blackjack, dados, roleta e pôquer. Os Tulalips foram a segunda tribo no estado de Washington a abrir um cassino. Os Lummis abriram o deles apenas alguns meses antes.

Os tulalips parecem ter se tornado uma tribo próspera rapidamente, mas os planos estão sendo feitos há muito tempo. Uma sólida base de negócios foi estabelecida nas décadas de 1940 e 1950 com o estabelecimento da Tulalip Tribes, Inc., o departamento tribal exclusivamente dedicado ao desenvolvimento de negócios. Mesmo assim, a propriedade dos Tribos no canto nordeste da reserva, na divisa com a Interestadual 5, foi escolhida como um local ideal para o desenvolvimento.

Hoje, as Tribos operam dois cassinos, uma sala de bingo e um hotel de 12 andares, o Tulalip Resort Casino, neste site. O lobby e as paredes do novo hotel são decorados com arte Tulalip Tribal, incluindo mastros dos artistas James Madison e Joe Gobin. Quil Ceda Village, um shopping ao ar livre iniciado em 2001 com mais de 500.000 pés quadrados de espaço de varejo, é o lar de uma grande loja Wal-Mart, um Home Depot, Seattle Premium Outlets e muitos outros negócios. Há espaço para expansão, já que Quil Ceda Village atualmente usa apenas 500 de seu potencial de 2.000 acres.

O Representante do Estado de Washington John McCoy (nascido em 1943) voltou para sua casa natal, Tulalip, depois de trabalhar em Washington D.C. e começou a trabalhar com a Tulalip Tribes, Inc. para criar a Vila Quil Ceda. As tribos Tulalip foram homenageadas em 2003 pelo Projeto Harvard sobre Desenvolvimento Econômico do Índio Americano, parte da Escola de Governo John F. Kennedy, por seu modelo de negócios. Tulalip Tribes, Inc. também recebeu o status de Quil Ceda Village como uma cidade tribal, uma inovação nacional.

De olho no futuro, Tulalip Tribes tem mais uma conquista para adicionar à sua lista. O complexo de negócios tribal foi uma vantagem econômica para a cidade vizinha de Marysville, que fica a leste da reserva, no lado leste da Interestadual 5. Marysville e Tulalip criaram a Câmara de Comércio Tulalip da Grande Marysville, atualmente a única câmara dos Estados Unidos criado como uma joint venture entre uma cidade e uma nação soberana.

As receitas da tribo Tulalip foram estimadas em mais de US $ 200 milhões em 2005. As tribos usaram sua nova riqueza para expandir seus negócios, desenvolver programas educacionais e fornecer melhores serviços médicos e odontológicos e um centro cultural. Eles também estão comprando de volta 4.000 acres de terras de reserva que foram vendidas nos últimos anos. As tribos Tulalip atualmente possuem mais da metade de sua reserva de 22.086 acres.

Além disso, eles criaram um programa de doações de caridade, que ajuda a apoiar as organizações sem fins lucrativos do condado.

O estado de Washington
Departamento de Arqueologia e Preservação Histórica de Washington

Lã cardada, Reserva Tulalip, 1898

Foto de Edward Curtis, Cortesia UW Special Collections (NA1539)

Padre Chirouse posando com alunos na Tulalip Indian School, Tulalip, 1865

Foto de W. F. Robertson, Cortesia UW Special Collections (Neg No. NA1498)

Sus-chol-cho-lit-so (Magdeline) Whea-kadim (nascida em Hibulb), mãe do chefe William Shelton, 1906

Foto de Norman Edson, Cortesia UW Special Collections (NA632)

Índios com canoa, Tulalip, 1907

Foto de Norman Edson, Cortesia UW Special Collections (Neg. # NA729)

Escola indiana e coreto, Tulalip, 1910

Foto de Ferdinand Brady, Cortesia UW Special Collections, (NA1464)

Serraria Tulalip, Reserva Tulalip, 1912

Foto de Ferdinand Brady, cortesia da Biblioteca Pública Everett

Dia do Tratado, Reserva Indígena Tulalip, 1914

Foto de J. A. Juleen, cortesia da Biblioteca Pública Everett (Neg. JTreatyDay-9)

Nova maloca Tulalip, Tulalip, 22 de janeiro de 1914

Foto de J. A. Juleen, cortesia da Biblioteca Pública Everett

Interior da nova maloca, Tulalip, 22 de janeiro de 1914

Foto de J. A. Juleen, cortesia da Biblioteca Pública Everett

Indian Boarding School, Tulalip, ca. 1914

Foto de John A. Juleen, cortesia da Biblioteca Pública Everett

Jogo do osso na sessão, Tulalip, 22 de janeiro de 1914

Foto de J. A. Juleen, cortesia da Biblioteca Pública Everett

William Shelton (1869-1938), 1913

Foto de J. A. Juleen, cortesia da Biblioteca Pública Everett

William Shelton Spirit pole, Tulalip, 1920

Foto de John A. Juleen, cortesia da Biblioteca Pública Everett

O chefe de Tulalip William Shelton fala à multidão na dedicação do Tratado de Point Elliott, Mukilteo, 2 de maio de 1931

Cortesia Everett Public Library

A Tulalip Indian Shaker Church original, Tulalip Reservation, 1970

Foto de David Dilgard, cortesia da Biblioteca Pública Everett

St. Anne's Catholic Mission, Tulalip, 19 de outubro de 2008

HistoryLink.org Foto de Margaret Riddle

Cachoeira no Tulalip Resort Casino, Reserva Tulalip, 2 de novembro de 2008

HistoryLink.org Foto de Margaret Riddle

Interior, Tulalip Resort Casino, Tulalip Reservation, 2 de novembro de 2008

HistoryLink.org Foto de Margaret Riddle

Tulalip Resort Casino, Tulalip Reservation, 2 de novembro de 2008

HistoryLink.org Foto de Margaret Riddle

Bernie Kai-Kai Gobin Piscicultura, Tulalip

Marina, Reserva Tulalip, 8 de outubro de 2008

HistoryLink.org Foto de Margaret Riddle

Mission Beach Cemetery e Tulalip Bay, 8 de outubro de 2008

HistoryLink.org Foto de Margaret Riddle

Tulalip Resort Casino, Tulalip Reservation, 8 de outubro de 2008

HistoryLink.org Foto de Margaret Riddle

House pole por James Madison, lobby do hotel, Tulalip Resort Casino, Tulalip Reservation, 8 de outubro de 2008

HistoryLink.org Foto de Margaret Riddle

House pole by Joe Gobin, lobby do hotel, Tulalip Resort Casino, Tulalip Reservation, 8 de outubro de 2008


Chefes do Clã Buchanan

Os primeiros seis chefes de clã estão mal representados nos registros históricos e foram incluídos por alguns historiadores do clã e omitidos por outros. Buchanan de Auchmar e Guthrie Smith começam sua respectiva numeração de Chefes em uma pessoa diferente e descrevem uma ordem e número diferente de Chefes após Sir Walter 11th de Buchanan. Em parte, isso se deve ao fato de o herdeiro aparentemente não suceder à chefia antes de morrer e a chefia passando diretamente do avô para o neto. A seguinte linhagem reconcilia Guthrie Smith e Buchanan de Auchmar e sua respectiva numeração está entre parênteses.

Os dois principais historiadores do Clã, Buchanan de Auchmar [23] escrevendo em 1723 usa o termo & # x2018laird de Buchanan & # x2019, enquanto Guthrie Smith [24] escrevendo em 1896 usa o termo & # x2018laird de Buchanan & # x2019 para descrever os chefes. para e incluindo Sir Maurice dia 10 de Buchanan e então & # x2018Buchanan desse Ilk & # x2019 até e incluindo Sir George dia 15 de Buchanan e depois disso Buchanan de Buchanan. Wikipedia


História do Cameron Tartan

O clã Cameron é considerado um dos mais antigos clãs escoceses e é descrito como mais feroz do que a própria ferocidade. Eles afirmam ser descendentes do Rei da Dinamarca Fergus II em sua restauração em 778.

O nome vem do gaélico Camshron de cam (irônico) e sron (nariz). No século XV, Donald Dubh casou-se com um membro da família de Cambrun de Ballegarno em Fife. Isso reuniu uma confederação de tribos que ficou conhecida como Clã Cameron. Foi posteriormente confirmado por James V estabelecendo o alvará do baronato de Lochiel em Lochaber sobre o capitão do Clã Cameron. O Castelo Achnacarry foi construído no século XVII (1655) tornando-se a casa dos Camerons. Na rebelião de 1745, Donald, o 19 de Lochiel, ganhou o nome de The Gentle Lochiel enquanto exibia grande bravura. Ele é creditado por salvar Glasgow da devastação do exército jacobita. A reconstrução do Castelo Achnacarry levou à falência vertical das propriedades Lochiel, com grande parte dos arrendatários e famílias despejados para as clareiras. O clã Cameron é um clã, com um ramo principal, Lochiel, e vários ramos de cadetes, como Erracht, Clunes, Glen Nevis e Fassifern.


Edwin M. Stanton: Início da Vida e Carreira Política

Edwin McMasters Stanton nasceu em Steubenville, Ohio, em 19 de dezembro de 1814. Depois que seu pai morreu em 1827, Stanton trabalhou em uma livraria para ajudar a sustentar sua mãe viúva. Ele frequentou o Kenyon College em 1831, mas saiu no ano seguinte devido ao agravamento da situação financeira de sua família. In 1835 Stanton passed the Ohio state bar and began practicing as a lawyer. A year later he settled in Cadiz, Ohio, and married Mary A. Lamson, with whom he had two children.

Você sabia? In 1871, former Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton became only the second non-president after Benjamin Franklin to appear on a U.S. postage stamp.

Over the next 10 years, Stanton built a robust law practice in Ohio. He also became active in politics and regularly served as a delegate to the Ohio Democratic convention. In 1844 Stanton’s first wife died in childbirth. He later remarried Ellen Hutchinson, a young woman from a prominent Pennsylvania family, and had four more children.

Stanton next moved his law practice to Pittsburg before settling in Washington, D.C., in 1856. While in Washington, Stanton was involved in several high-profile legal cases, including the murder trial of future Union General Daniel Sickles, in which he made one of the earliest successful uses of the insanity defense.

In December 1860 Stanton was appointed attorney general in the cabinet of James Buchanan, who was set to leave office in early 1861. During his short tenure Stanton helped convince Buchanan that the secession of the Southern states was unconstitutional, a move that effectively prevented the Confederacy from peaceably separating from the Union.


Cameron Buchanan - History

Clan/Family Histories
- Index Page

Here are histories of a large number of clans and families who have been significant in the making of Scotland. These histories contain links to other sources of useful information including clan/family Web sites.

A number of reference books have been used to provide the factual information including "The Surnames of Scotland" by George F Black, "Scottish Surnames" by David Dorward, "Clans and Tartans" by George Way of Plean, "Scottish Surnames and Families" by Donald Whyte, "Scottish Clans and Tartans" by Neil Grant and "Scottish Clan and Family Encyclopedia" by George Wray of Plean and Romilly Squire.

Agnew
Andrew Agnew was appointed hereditary Sheriff of Wigtown in 1451 and his descendants hold that office to this day.

Anderson/McAndrew
"Son of Andrew" originally signified a devotee of the patron saint of Scotland.

Armstrong
The head of this powerful Border family was killed by King James V.

Baxter
Baxter was (and is) a common name in Angus as Forfar was at one time a royal residence and the first Baxters there may well have been royal bakers.

Borthwick
The family is thought to be one of the most ancient in Scotland.

Boyd
Sir Robert Boyd's success as a commander at the Battle of Bannockburn led to him being granted lands in Ayrshire.

Boyle
The Earl of Glasgow, head of the family, is said to have bribed poor Jacobites to support the Union of the Scottish and English Parliaments in 1707.

Brodie
The name may be derived from a Pictish royal family named "Brude".

Brown/Broun
Second most common name in Scotland and also found frequently in England and the USA.

Bruce
Robert the Bruce wrote this surname in large letters into the history of Scotland.

Buchanan
Rewarded with land on the east side of Loch Lomond by King Malcolm II, for service in fighting Nordic invaders.

Burns
The family of Scotland's greatest poet.

Cameron
Often described as "fiercer than fierceness itself".

Campbell
Staunch supporters of the government both in the early years and later when they opposed the Jacobite uprisings.

Carruthers
Hereditary stewards of Annandale in Dumfriesshire.

Chisholm
Over the centuries, there were major Chisholm families in the Borders, Inverness-shire and Perthshire.

Clark/Clerk/Clarkson
Clark was never a Highland clan but it is frequently found among the Clan Chattan confederacy and appears to have been a sept of the MacPhersons.

Colquhoun
The surname Colquhoun comes from a location beside Loch Lomond.

Craig/Craigie
Sir Thomas Craig was a renowned writer on feudal law his work "Jus Feudale" published in 1655, is still used by Scottish lawyers.

Crawford
The youngest son of the 4th Earl of Richmond was granted lands in the Barony of Craufurd (from "crow ford") in the 12th century.

Cumming
Once one of the most powerful families in Scotland, Robert the Bruce set about destroying its power.

Cunningham
The 14th Earl was a patron of Robert Burns who named his fourth son James Glencairn Burns.

Davidson
The Davidsons are said to have formed a part of the Clan Chattan force which fought in the famous "Battle of the Clans" at Perth in 1396, staged in front of King Robert III.

Douglas
This powerful family's name came from the Gaelic "dubh glais" meaning "dark water."

Drummond
One of the most powerful families in Scotland. James Drummond, the 3rd Duke of Perth, commanded the Jacobite left flank at Culloden.

Duff/MacDuff
The Gaelic word "dubh" meaning "black" is the origin of the name Duff which thus goes back further than recorded history.

Dunbar
The Dunbars became so powerful that King James I imprisoned the Earl so that could take over the large Dunbar estates.

Duncan
There were two Kings of Scotland with that name in the 11th century.

Dundas
The driving force behind the repeal of the Proscription Act which banned the wearing of tartan and the carrying of weapons following the 1745 Uprising in support of Bonnie Prince Charlie.

Elliot/Eliott/Ellot
Strongly associated with the Scottish Borders and the reivers (raiders on horseback) of the area.

Farquharson
The clan settled in the Braes of Mar in the 16th century. The famous Braemar Gathering is held on the clan chief's estate.

Fergusson/Ferguson
"Son of Fergus," but there were clearly a number of different people with the name "Fergus".

Forbes
Feuds with the powerful Gordon clan and the Leslies, culminated in two battles and several massacres.

Forsyth
A family with a long and distinguished history that gave its name to the Forsythia plant.

Fraser
The name Fraser originated in Normandy, France.

Gordon
The family from North-East Scotland who became "Cock o' the North".

Graham/Graeme
Two of Scotland's great military commanders were Grahams.

Conceder
The name of this Strathspey clan derives from a Norman Frenchman "Le Grand".

Gunn
The Gunns are descended from Vikings who came to Caithness in the 12th century.

Hamilton
The 14th Duke of Hamilton was the pilot of the first plane to fly over Mount Everest.

Feno
Sir Gilbert Hay was appointed Lord High Constable of Scotland by Robert the Bruce. The family still hold that title, giving them precedence in Scotland immediately after the royal family.

Henderson
"Son of Henry" is a name which is found in various forms all over Europe. In Scotland, it was originally "Henryson".

Hunter
The Laird of Hunterston keeps silver pennies from the reign of Robert II - just in case the monarch drops by looking for the rent!.

Irvine/Irving/Irwin
William de Irwin was a neighbour of the Bruce family in Annandale and became armour-bearer and then secretary to Robert the Bruce.

Jardine established at Applegirth on the River Annan in Dumfriesshire by the 14th century.

Johnston
One of the many families from the Scottish Borders who frequently raided the north of England over the centuries.

Keith
The Keiths were made Hereditary Great Marischal (in charge of the cavalry) by Robert the Bruce, a rank they held until 1715.

Kennedy
The Kennedys are particularly associated with Carrick in Ayrshire.

Kerr/Carr
There is a legend that the Kerrs were frequently left-handed.

Lamont
The name is of great antiquity in southern Argyll where the chiefs were known as "The Great MacLamont of all Cowal"

Leslie
Leslies took up the career of professional soldier, fighting in Germany, France, Sweden and the Baltic and took command of the Army of the Covenant.

Lindsay
The Lindsays spread all across Scotland, and at at the end of the Middle ages there were over 100 Lindsay families holding land in Scotland.

Logan/Logie/Loggie
Two knights named Logan accompanied Sir James Douglas on his journey to take Robert the Bruce's heart to the Holy Land. They died with Douglas fighting the Moors in Spain in 1329.

MacAlister
Promoted the colonisation of Scottish territories in Nova Scotia in Canada.

MacArthur
Descent from the legendary King Arhur cannot be proved.

MacBean/MacBain
The name has its origins in the Gaelic word meaning "life".

MacCallum
Followers of Columba were "maol Chaluim" which gradually became the name MacCallum (and Malcolm).

MacDonald
MacDonald, Lord of the Isles, was once a thorn in the side of Scottish kings.

MacDougall
The first Dougall was descended from Somerled, Lord of the Isles, at a time when the Western Isles were part of Norway.

MacDowall
Macdougalls in Galloway changed the spelling to Macdowall to differentiate themselves from the same surname in the Western Isles when signing the "Ragman Rolls" of King Edward I.

MacDuff/Duff
The Gaelic word "dubh" meaning "black" is the origin of the name Duff which thus goes back further than recorded history.

MacFarlane
The 20th clan chief said to General Wade - "Mr MacFarlane may be said with equal propriety to many but I and only I, am MacFarlane".

McGowan
McGowan is the Gaelic-derived equivalent of "Smith".

MacGregor
King James VI and the Privy Council issued an edict in 1603 banning the use of the name MacGregor.

MacIntyre
The clan chief emigrated to America.

Mackay
Initially established in Strathnaver in Caithness.

Mackenzie
"Son of Kenneth" in its Gaelic form of 'Coinneach'.

Mackinnon
The clan claim kinship with both King Kenneth mac Alpin and with St Columba.

Mackintosh/MacIntosh
Derived from the Gaelic "mac an tiosich" or "son of the leader or chief".

Maclachlan
Their name came from the Gaelic "loch-lann" meaning "fjord land" and was used as the Gaelic word for Norway.

MacLean
"Gillean of the Battleaxe" is said to be the founder of the clan.

MacLeod
From Lewis in the Outer Hebrides, Skye, Assynt and Strathpeffer.

McMillan
Descended from the Bishop of Dunkeld. His tonsured hair cut is rendered in Gaelic "Mhaoil-Iain".

MacNab
The progenitor of the clan is traditionally the abbot of Glendochart and Strathearn, a younger son of Kenneth Macalpin.

MacNeil/MacNeill
Said to be descended from "Niall of the Nine Hostages" a king of Tara in Ireland who ruled around 400.

Macpherson
The name Macpherson is from the Gaelic "Mac-a Phearsain" meaning "son of the parson" in the days when celibacy of the priesthood was not enforced.

MacRae
Hereditary constables of Eilean Donan Castle.

McTavish/MacThomas
Son of Thomas.

Malcolm
Followers of Columba were "maol Chaluim" which gradually became the name Malcolm (and MacCallum).

Marshall
Derived from the French word "mar chal" meaning "horse servant" the name was introduced into Britain following the Norman Conquest.

Maxwell
The name is derived from Maccus, son of Undewyn, a Saxon lord who was given a grant of land on the Tweed by King David I before 1150.

Melville
Originated from the barony of Malaville or Malleville in the Pays de Caux in Normandy.

Menzies
The correct pronunciation of this name - "mingis" - appears to be dying out.

Mitchell
Introduced to Scotland through the French "Michel" or Michael.

Moffat
Once a powerful Border family but nearly wiped out in the 16th century by the Johnstones.

Montgomery
Sir John Montgomery was a hero at the Battle of Otterburn in 1388 when he captured Sir Henry Percy (also known as Hotspur) after a hand to hand battle.

Moore/Muir
The Scots word "muir" means a moor so the surname is found all over Scotland.

Morrison
There are a number of different origins of this Scottish name.

Munro
The Munros of Foulis have been living on the shores of Cromarty Firth for over 500 years.

Murray
A Fleming was given land by King David I in the area known as "Moray" in the 12th century.

Napier
John Napier (1550-1617) developed the system of logarithms.

Nicol/MacNicol
At least one of the branches of this name originated with the Vikings.

Ogilvy
Ogilvie was a province of the Picts in Angus, ruled by a mormaer, who became the first earls in the area.

Paterson
A name derived from "Son of the devotee of Patrick" ie St Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland.

Ramsay
Major contributors to poetry and painting in th 18th century.

Robertson
There are claims that the Robertsons are the oldest documented clan in Scottish history.

Ross
There was an ancient Celtic earldom of Ross in the 12th century, in what is now the county of Ross and Cromarty.

Russel/Russell
This name is probably derived from "rous" meaning red and early bearers of the name no doubt had red hair.

Rutherford
Ernest Rutherford (later Lord Rutherford) won the Nobel Prize for chemistry and is also known as the "father of atomic power".

Scott
One of the most powerful of the Border families, the name was derived from the Scots who invaded Dalriada (Argyll) from Ireland.

Shaw
The Shaws and their Mackintosh allies supported Robert the Bruce against the Comyns (Cummings) and took part in the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314.

Sinclair
Henry de St Clair was a notable seaman and probably reached North America a 100 years before Columbus.

Smith
Smith is the most common surname in Scotland (and in England and the USA).

Stevenson / Stephenson / Stephen A well known and frequently found surname in Scotland.

Stewart/Stuart
The most famous "occupational" name in Scotland and a line of kings and queens which lasted for nearly 350 years.

Sutherland
Derived from the Viking "Sudrland" or southern land, south of Caithness and north of Inverness.

Taylor
From the French word "tailler" which means "to cut" - a variant of the name is "Cissor" or "Scissor".

Thomson/Thomas
Thomson is the fourth most common surname in Scotland.

Urquhart
Originated from a place name "Airchart" on the northwest shore of Loch Ness (in the area in which Urquhart Castle is now located).

Wallace
William Wallace's "Braveheart" exploits put this clan on the map.

Watt/Watson
James Watt is best known for his development of the steam engine and the unit of power "watt" is named after him.

Wilson
The American President Woodrow Wilson was from Scottish and Irish roots.

Young
James Young extracted paraffin from coal and was nicknamed "Paraffin Young."


Kali Linux Wireless Penetration Testing Beginner's Guide : Master wireless testing techniques to survey and attack wireless networks with Kali Linux, including the KRACK attack

Kali Linux Wireless Penetration Testing Beginner's Guide, Third Edition presents wireless pentesting from the ground up, and has been updated with the latest methodologies, including full coverage of the KRACK attack.

  • Learn wireless penetration testing with Kali Linux
  • Detect hidden wireless networks and discover their names
  • Explore advanced Wi-Fi hacking techniques including rogue access point hosting and probe sniffing
  • Develop your encryption cracking skills and gain an insight into the methods used by attackers and the underlying technologies that facilitate these attacks

Kali Linux Wireless Penetration Testing Beginner's Guide, Third Edition is suitable for anyone who wants to learn more about pentesting and how to understand and defend against the latest wireless network attacks.

  • Understand the KRACK attack in full detail
  • Create a wireless lab for your experiments
  • Sniff out wireless packets, hidden networks, and SSIDs
  • Capture and crack WPA-2 keys
  • Sniff probe requests and track users through their SSID history
  • Attack radius authentication systems
  • Sniff wireless traffic and collect interesting data
  • Decrypt encrypted traffic with stolen keys

As wireless networks become ubiquitous in our lives, wireless penetration testing has become a key skill in the repertoire of the professional penetration tester. This has been highlighted again recently with the discovery of the KRACK attack which enables attackers to potentially break into Wi-Fi networks encrypted with WPA2. The Kali Linux security distribution comes with a myriad of tools used for networking attacks and detecting security loopholes.

Kali Linux Wireless Penetration Testing Beginner's Guide, Third Edition has been updated to Kali Linux 2017.3 with the latest methodologies, including full coverage of the KRACK attack and how to defend against it. The book presents wireless pentesting from the ground up, introducing all elements of penetration testing with each new technology. You'll learn various wireless testing methodologies by example, from the basics of wireless routing and encryption through to detailed coverage of hacking methods and attacks such as the Hirte and Caffe Latte.

Kali Linux Wireless Penetration Testing Beginner's Guide, Third Edition is a practical, hands-on guide to modern wi-fi network hacking. It covers both the theory and practice of wireless pentesting, offering detailed, real-world coverage of the latest vulnerabilities and attacks.


What Killed Off The High Chaparral? As the Western finds new fans, the 50th anniversary reunion brought insight into the series.

Film Editor Henry Parke represented True West at the 50th anniversary celebration of The High Chaparral Series. Shown here is the family the show revolved around (from left): Mark Slade as Billy Blue Cannon, Leif Erickson as John Cannon, Linda Cristal as Victoria Montoya Cannon, Cameron Mitchell as Buck Cannon and Henry Darrow as Victoria’s brother, Manolito Montoya.
- Tudo The High Chaparral photos Courtesy NBC —

A half century ago, a new Western arrived on NBC, and four seasons later, it was gone, leaving a legacy of just under 100 episodes—less than a fourth of the Bonanzas or a sixth of the Gunsmokes. Yet this show’s popularity grows, here and abroad, with daily airings on INSP.

In September of 2017, the remaining cast and crew—and 150 fans—of The High Chaparral gathered one last time to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the rugged and romantic Western series that Director-Writer Quentin Tarantino credits as an inspiration for 2015’s The Hateful Eight. The hosts for this opulent affair were series Production Manager Kent McCray and his wife, Susan, who helped cast the show.

The late David Dortort was an already incredibly successful creator of Bonanza when he branched off from the almost too-perfect Cartwrights to create what he’d later call a “dysfunctional Western family.”

Kent, who also managed the production of Bonanza, enjoyed the older show, but preferred the newer one, recalling, “In Bonanza, they had money, so people came to them the stories were in and around the Ponderosa. The High Chaparral was a location [Old Tucson in Arizona] and had a lot of action.”

Not only action, but also a palpable sense of danger, and that rarity—unpredictability. It started with the pilot, when John Cannon (Leif Erickson) brings his lovely wife Annalee (Joan Caulfield), rebellious son Billy Blue (Mark Slade) and disreputable brother Buck (Cameron Mitchell) to the Arizona ranchland he’s bought. Incredibly, Annalee is immediately killed by Apaches and, almost as quickly, John Cannon acquires a new Mexican wife!

Memories were shared by Henry Darrow (Manolito, above left) and the children of Cameron Mitchell (Buck, above right).

“We had the Mexican family of high esteem south of the border, and then we had the Tucson family, the (socially lower) Cannons,” recalls Henry Darrow, the ladies’ favorite as lovable wastrel Manolito, of the elegant Montoya clan. “And the man who played my father, Frank Silvera, negotiated a romance between his daughter [Victoria, played by Linda Cristal] and the old man, John Cannon.”

The quick marriage doesn’t sit well with Billy Blue, who has just lost his mother and was attracted to Victoria himself. And that’s just the pilot!

One revolutionary element for the series that aired from 1967-1971 was the number of Hispanic actors who appeared in it. “The people in Latin America, people all over the world, love it. They all can relate to it,” Susan says.

Darrow agrees. “Dortort had such an affinity for Latin actors, and he used us. He hired almost every Latin who I had ever known of, about 100-odd people a year .”

The High Chaparral surely came along at the right time for the late actor Cameron Mitchell, who was represented at the reunion by his children, fellow actors Chip and Camille Mitchell, who said, “I think it saved his life.”

Cameron had acted with the best in the business—John Wayne, Clark Gable, Marilyn Monroe—but the Hollywood studio system collapsed. He was busy making European Westerns and horror films, but Camille remembers, “He was almost 50, and in those days, 50 was old for an actor.”

While flying to Rome to act in a movie, Cameron found himself sitting next to Dortort. Chip remembers, “They’d done The Ox-Bow Incident on TV together [for The 20th Century-Fox Hour], which got David an Emmy nomination.”

Dortort gave Cameron a copy of The High Chaparral script: “‘I thought you might want [to play] John Cannon.’ But Dad read the script and he immediately fell in love with the role of Buck,” Chip says.

“Cameron Mitchell was a character. He’d eat [while] wearing gloves. Show up blond without warning,” Kent remembers.

His costumes were made of black velour. “After a take, he’d jump in a water trough to cool off. With the velour, it didn’t show. But I thought he was the best actor on the show,” Kent says.

Deep-voiced Don Collier, who played foreman Sam Butler, had already performed in three films with John Wayne. His favorite episode on The High Chaparral was “Follow Your Heart,” where Butler finally gets a romance. “Though they killed my wife off,” Collier adds. “My favorite writer wrote that show, Denne Petitclerc.”

Petitclerc, who also wrote the pilot episode, was a protégé of author Ernest Hemingway.

With stories so dependent on action, a strong stunt crew was indispensable. The stunts were overseen by Henry Wills, who had spent two decades performing stunts on Republic serials and B-Westerns before becoming stunt coordinator on 1960’s The Magnificent Seven.

Stuntman Steve DeFrance, who calls Wills “my best mentor,” remembers the job as a 52-episode blur of action: “It was like working in a real ranch every day was a day of work. In one [episode], we were Chaparral guys, running from the Comancheros, shooting back at them. Then we traded hats, rode back shooting this way Como Comancheros. But in the afternoon, we changed into cavalry uniforms and came to our rescue.”

What killed the series? Assassinations.

Kent believes the “death of Robert Kennedy changed the attitude of television. They didn’t want to see people get killed, and that hurt us terribly.”

For what had been a life-and-death action series, adopting a “no-kill” policy became a credibility nightmare. Jackie Fuller, Cristal’s stunt double, recalls, “You’d have an Indian attack. A stunt man could act like he was shot, fall off the horse, but then you had to show him getting up and running off-screen.”

Soon, viewers were running away as well. The final episode, “A Man to Match the Land,” aired on March 12, 1971.

Maioria High Chaparral folks who are still around have retired. But Kent has just written his autobiography, and Susan says the couple is looking for a way to revive the series. That suits Collier fine: “It was fun to do. Sure wish we had time to do it again.”

Henry C. Parke is a screenwriter based in Los Angeles, California, who blogs about Western movies, TV, radio and print news: HenrysWesternRoundup.Blogspot.com.

Postagens Relacionadas

Director William Wellman’s career as a filmmaker during the mogul-studio era is a portrait in&hellip

Take a stroll through Bluegrass and Gospel memories with Ralph Stanley and friends. This reissue&hellip

Ride the High Country is considered a classic. The 1962 film—directed by Sam Peckinpah—starred Joel&hellip


Author Updates

As wireless networks become ubiquitous in our lives, wireless penetration testing has become a key skill in the repertoire of the professional penetration tester. The Kali Linux security distribution comes with a myriad of tools used for networking attacks and detecting security loopholes.

Kali Linux Wireless Penetration Testing Beginner's Guide presents wireless pentesting from the ground up, introducing all elements of penetration testing with each new technology. Learn various wireless testing methodologies by example, from the basics of wireless routing and encryption through to detailed coverage of hacking methods and attacks such as the Hirte and Caffe Latte.

What you will learn

  • Create a wireless lab for your experiments
  • Sniff out wireless packets and hidden networks
  • Capture and crack WPA-2 keys
  • Discover hidden SSIDs
  • Explore the ins and outs of wireless technologies
  • Sniff probe requests and track users through SSID history
  • Attack radius authentication systems
  • Sniff wireless traffic and collect interesting data
  • Decrypt encrypted traffic with stolen keys

About the Authors

Vivek Ramachandran has been working in Wireless Security since 2003. He discovered the Caffe Latte attack and also broke WEP Cloaking, a WEP protection schema, publicly in 2007 at DEF CON. In 2011, he was the first to demonstrate how malware could use Wi-Fi to create backdoors, worms, and even botnets. Earlier, he was one of the programmers of the 802.1x protocol and Port Security in Cisco's 6500 Catalyst series of switches and was also one of the winners of the Microsoft Security Shootout contest held in India among a reported 65,000 participants. He is best known in the hacker community as the founder of SecurityTube.net, where he routinely posts videos on Wi-Fi Security and exploitation techniques.

Cameron Buchanan is an experienced penetration tester, having worked in a huge range of industries. He is also the author of Packt's Kali Linux CTF Blueprints.


Clan Buchanan can trace its origin back to Anselan O'Kyan who was a son of the King of Ulster landed in Argyll in 1016. For his services against the Danes he received the lands of Buchanan, which lie to the east of Loch Lomond around the village of Killearn.

They occupied the ground surrounding the shores of Loch Lomond in 1225 as a result of a grant by the Earl of Lennox to Sir Absalon of Buchanan. Towards the middle of the 13th century Gilbert, Seneschal to the Earl of Lennox obtained part of the lands of Buchanan in Stirlingshire and took his surname from them. Sir Alexander Buchanan, Chief of Clan Buchanan led men of the clan in support of the French against the English at the Battle of Bauge in 1421 and killed the Duke of Clarence hence the ducal crown in the badge. They have always been royalist but took very little part in the Jacobite wars although a number fought in the Duke of Perths Regiment at Culloden.

The 'hunting ' version of the tartan cames from the Scott Adie (London) collection, which is a book of manufacturers samples, sold at auction c1960. The book is dated 1850 and the samples are thought to represent the tartans available for purchase between 1840-50


Assista o vídeo: Hes All That 2021 First Kiss - Padgett and Cameron Addison Rae


Comentários:

  1. Haefen

    O que faríamos sem sua excelente frase

  2. Dubhagain

    I have thought and have deleted the thought

  3. Coughlan

    Eu não falei isso.

  4. Nabi Ulmalhamah

    Provavelmente não

  5. Shakazil

    Não está claro para mim.



Escreve uma mensagem