Steam Circus

Steam Circus


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Em 1808, o inventor, Richard Trevithick, desenvolveu uma nova locomotiva que chamou Me Pegue Quem Pode. No verão de 1808, Trevithick ergueu uma ferrovia circular ou circo a vapor na Euston Square, em Londres. Durante os meses de julho e agosto, as pessoas pagavam um xelim para andar em uma carruagem puxada pela locomotiva de Trevithick. Trevithick tinha muitos voluntários para cavalgar Me Pegue Quem Pode que pode viajar a velocidades de 12 mph (19 km / h). No entanto, o peso da locomotiva quebrou os trilhos e ele foi forçado a encerrar o experimento.


Arquivo: Mr Fields Steam Circus (final dos anos 1870) Hollycombe, Liphook 3.8.2004 P8030104 (10354106344) .jpg

Clique em uma data / hora para ver o arquivo como ele apareceu naquele momento.

Data horaMiniaturaDimensõesDo utilizadorComente
atual08:44, 24 de outubro de 20132.048 × 1.536 (680 KB) File Upload Bot (Magnus Manske) (falar | contribs) Transferido do Flickr pelo usuário: clusternote

Você não pode sobrescrever este arquivo.


Amigos do pastor

Ajude a apoiar o jornal semanal gratuito de Milwaukee & # 39s localmente.

Em 1970, o desfile acrescentou uma de suas atrações mais famosas, o ator Ernest Borgnine, vencedor do Oscar, que se tornou um dos pilares do evento como o “Palhaço Chefe do Desfile”. Borgnine foi convidado a participar do desfile após um comentário improvisado no Tonight Show. Quando o apresentador Johnny Carson perguntou a Borgnine o que ele ainda queria fazer como ator, ele respondeu que sempre quis interpretar um palhaço. No dia seguinte, os executivos do desfile ligaram para Borgnine e o convidaram para participar do desfile. Borgnine aproveitou seu tempo em Milwaukee, aparecendo em todos os grandes desfiles de circo da cidade entre 1972 e 2002.

No verão de 1968, um circo de seis dias foi realizado às margens do lago de Milwaukee no lugar do desfile. No ano anterior, Milwaukee foi uma das dezenas de cidades americanas que sofreram violentos distúrbios civis em sua área central predominantemente afro-americana, e os planejadores temeram que as tensões persistentes pudessem tornar perigoso realizar o desfile. O desfile voltou em 1969, mas depois que a Schlitz Brewing abandonou seu patrocínio após o desfile de 1973, nenhuma fonte alternativa de financiamento pôde ser garantida e o desfile encerrado.

O desfile voltou a Milwaukee em 1985, financiado com uma combinação de doações individuais e patrocínios corporativos. O desfile daquele ano foi exibido ao vivo na TBS em uma transmissão apresentada por Pat Sajak e Vanna White. Não foi a primeira vez que o desfile recebeu atenção da mídia nacional. Uma foto pictórica do desfile de 1964 foi apresentada em VIDA A revista e centenas de outras publicações dedicaram espaço ao evento ao longo de sua história. Imagens do desfile apareceram até em jornais de lugares tão distantes como a China e a Arábia Saudita. Os destaques dos desfiles com atraso de fita foram mostrados na PBS e na Rede das Forças Armadas, apresentados por Bob Keeshan, também conhecido como: Capitão Canguru.

A ressurreição do desfile em Milwaukee durou até 2003, quando os problemas de financiamento novamente colocaram o evento em um hiato. Uma versão do desfile foi realizada em Baraboo em 2004 e 2005, mas os contínuos problemas de dinheiro acabaram com o desfile por completo. Em 2009, usando o dinheiro de um “fundo para dias chuvosos” criado pelos organizadores entre 1985 e 2003, bem como uma nova campanha de arrecadação de fundos, o desfile foi revivido em Milwaukee mais uma vez. O retorno do desfile foi muito anunciado e Ernest Borgnine, de 92 anos, reviveu seu papel para o evento. Mas antes mesmo do trem do circo chegar a Milwaukee, os organizadores anunciaram que o evento não voltaria em 2010. Não voltou desde então.


História dos passeios em feiras

Para muitas pessoas, o recinto da feira é agora definido pela emoção e pelo espetáculo das máquinas de equitação. Esses passeios têm uma história complexa definida pela capacidade mecânica e tendências culturais e sociais.

Dobbies Girados à Mão

Não há evidências claras do desenvolvimento das primeiras rotundas. Conjuntos de maçanetas simples existiam no início do século XIX. Em "Seventy Years a Showman" Lord George Sanger descreve como seu pai fabricou seus próprios dobbies no início de sua carreira. Em construção tosca, os cavalos "eram exemplos aumentados de brinquedos de baixo custo ... suas pernas eram simplesmente gravetos redondos. Seus corpos eram pedaços de negócio arredondados de um lado. Suas cabeças foram cortadas em placas de meia polegada e inseridas em uma ranhura em seus corpos, enquanto as caudas e crinas eram feitas de tiras de pele de coelho.

A maioria das rotatórias neste ponto dependia da força muscular para funcionar e, como muitos outros na época, os cavalos de Sanger eram virados manualmente por crianças que trabalhariam para os showmen em troca de uma carona grátis. Pôneis também eram freqüentemente empregados para fazer esse trabalho, da mesma forma que um cavalo viraria um gin em uma mina em uma fazenda.

Um desenvolvimento interessante da ideia de rotatórias movidas a músculos foi a rotatória de bicicleta, comumente conhecida como Velocípede, que existia no princípio dos apostadores pedalando em uma rotatória impulsionando seu próprio passeio.

Eventualmente, a aplicação de energia a vapor em atrações de feiras mudou a cara da feira e as possibilidades das atrações. A primeira evidência de um passeio movido a vapor data de 1861, quando Thomas Bradshaw apresentou seu carrossel no antigo Pot Market em Bolton no dia de Ano Novo.

Rotatórias a vapor

De acordo com Thomas Hurst, o eminente proprietário da rotatória de Lancashire, foi Thomas Bradshaw quem apresentou pela primeira vez em público um passeio a vapor em um parque de diversões. A caldeira para o motor foi construída na Pollit's Boiler Yard em Lever Street, Bolton, enquanto o motor foi obra dos Srs. Rogerson e Brimelow de Deansgate. Bradshaw, que fez os cavalos sozinho, patenteou sua ideia em 1863.
É bem provável que tenha sido este mesmo carrossel que visitou a Feira do Solstício de Verão em Halifax em 1863, sendo relatado pelo Halifax Courier como:
‘... rotunda de enormes proporções, impulsionada por uma máquina a vapor que girava com tal impetuosidade, que a maravilha é que os cavaleiros ousados ​​não são disparados como balas de canhão, e levados metade no meio do próximo mês.
O impacto do acréscimo de energia a vapor em atrações de feiras na época não pode ser subestimado, embora o acima pareça um relato improvável e um tanto exagerado dos eventos. Ele corresponde às preocupações levantadas por senhores contemporâneos da profissão médica sobre os perigos de viajar a velocidades de mais de 30 mph nas ferrovias.

Preocupação também foi levantada por um morador local preocupado com o risco de explosão. ‘Põe em perigo a vida de muitas crianças’, afirmou, ‘considerando o estado de pressão em que é trabalhado’.

A introdução do vapor e passeios mais rápidos foi recebida com certo grau de apreensão. No entanto, essas ansiedades obviamente não eram compartilhadas por todos, pois em 1865 outro inovador, Sidney Soames, demonstrou sua versão da rotatória em Aylsham Fair. No mesmo ano, o mais conhecido de todos os engenheiros de feiras, Frederick Savage de King's Lynn, construiu seu primeiro passeio a vapor e Uriah Cheeseman recebeu um conjunto de Velocípedes a vapor. Um relatório no Lynn News sugere que este passeio esteve presente no King's Lynn Mart e Oxford St Giles em 1866. A evidência sugere que este foi o primeiro passeio de Savage.

Infelizmente, os registros da empresa para esses primeiros anos estão incompletos e isso não pode ser verificado com total certeza. O próximo registro de outra rotatória a vapor construída em King's Lynn data de 1868. Desta vez, foi um conjunto de cavalos Dobby a vapor que foram construídos para George Twigdon, um viajante de East Midland que já operava um conjunto Dobby.

Uma década depois, Savages produzia regularmente Velocopides e Dobbies a vapor para showmen viajantes. O envolvimento de William Sanger fez com que o título de "Steam Circus" fosse adotado.
O impacto da máquina a vapor no desenvolvimento da máquina de montar foi profundo. À medida que o século XIX chegava ao fim, numerosas patentes foram registradas para novas idéias e designs. Às vezes, eram os próprios proprietários indiretos que experimentavam novas ideias, incluindo Abraham Waddington, de Yorkshire, que patenteou sua ideia em 1870.

A parceria de Frederick Savage e William Sanger deu origem a outra novidade em 1880, quando lançaram o Sea-on-Land. Réplicas de embarcações marítimas, completas em designs posteriores com velas e cordames e muitas vezes com nomes de navios da época, eram lançadas e atiradas por mecanismos sob seus cascos. As primeiras versões incorporaram outra ideia nova, o motor central de tração, que combinava o motor de transporte com a transmissão central. A Savages não era a única empresa a fornecer este tipo de máquina, John e Henry McLaren de Leeds também construíram alguns exemplos.

Durante a década de 1880, vários fabricantes competiram para tentar fazer galopar os "calmos" Cavalos Dobby. Em 1885, os Savages construíram seus primeiros Galopadores de Plataforma para John Murphy de Tyneside. No mesmo ano, os Srs. Reynolds e King projetaram o sistema de manivela superior, que foi aprimorado no ano seguinte por Tidmans de Norwich. No final do século, os Gallopers de manivela eram fornecidos por vários engenheiros britânicos e ainda continuam sendo um passeio popular na paisagem contemporânea de feiras.

Steam Yachts

Se a rotatória podia ser mecanizada, o balanço também poderia. Uma patente retirada em 1888 introduziu os Steam Yachts. William Cartwright de Bromwich foi o primeiro a ter sucesso na construção de um conjunto usando cilindros verticais. Savages também começou a construir Steam Yachts, usando a patente aprimorada de Cartwright de 1894. Seu primeiro conjunto foi construído para John Collins. Os iates costumavam receber os nomes dos navios mais recentes: Lusitania e Mauretania, Cymric e Celtic, embora Olympia e Titanic tenham sido nomes de curta duração no set de John Collins.

Passeios em ziguezague

Savages projetou e construiu o primeiro Switchback em 1888, canibalizando um passeio mais antigo. Seu primeiro modelo foi entregue a George Aspland de Boston. A ideia provou ser popular e, em questão de meses, vários proprietários importantes de rotatórias, incluindo Greens, Baileys, Studts e Murphys, tinham máquinas semelhantes.

Os primeiros exemplos apresentavam carros simples para torradas, que se mostraram pouco inspiradores para os clientes e logo foram transformados em carruagens elaboradas pelas mãos de entalhadores de madeira qualificados.

Em 1894, a ideia da gôndola veneziana foi introduzida por Pat Collins de Walsall. Ele gabou-se em 1899 de que era uma reprodução fiel das gôndolas usadas pela Grande Procissão dos Doges de Veneza, imortalizadas por Shakespeare e Byron. Essas viagens em Switchback, junto com suas contrapartes eletrificadas, a Scenic Railway, foram um ponto alto da arte e da estética dos primeiros parques de exposições, indicando o caminho a seguir na busca por referências decorativas. Designers e artesãos italianos foram importados às custas dos showmen, e um órgão central luxuoso tornou-se um padrão de exuberância.

Foi o irmão de John Green, George, que ajudou a desenvolver o Switchback Galloper em 1889. Praticamente um cruzamento entre um Switchback e um Platform Galloper, foi construído por Savages, embora nunca em grande número. Apesar disso, um exemplo foi percorrido na Escócia pelos Wilmots e o passeio continuou a frequentar feiras ao norte da fronteira até a década de 1930.

Ferrovias de túnel

Um século antes da abertura do Túnel do Canal, em 1994, viagens de trem desse tipo já eram simuladas no recinto de feiras britânico. Em 1895, alguns dos maiores nomes do recinto de feiras faziam esse tipo de passeio. Pat Collins de Walsall, George Thomas Tuby de Doncaster e William Davis de Stoke on Trent apresentaram modelos construídos por Savage, enquanto outras firmas de engenharia no norte do país, como John Fowler e Thomas Green de Leeds, também investiram no design de tais brinquedos.

A novidade sempre foi importante para atrair clientes. Se uma viagem pelo Túnel da Mancha, completa com fumaça e vapor, não atraiu, um passeio na Razzle Dazzle sim. Sentado em assentos em uma plataforma circular, ele balançava de um lado para o outro enquanto girava. Já em 1893 Savages detinha uma patente para a máquina, mas exemplos posteriores construídos em Hartlepool pela Howcroft Carriage and Waggon Works provaram ser superiores.

Savages, Tidmans e Walkers continuaram a fornecer veículos movidos a vapor até a eclosão da Grande Guerra e também aplicaram a tecnologia a ideias e designs antigos que reapareceram em formatos ligeiramente diferentes. Pat Collins recebeu um Velocípede em 1896 e os Porcos e Balões de Reuben Holdsworths, construído em 1908, eram essencialmente um Galloper de Plataforma da patente de 1885 com a adição de um topo contra-giratório.

Passeios elétricos

O desenvolvimento mais importante antes da Primeira Guerra Mundial foi a Scenic Railway. A eletricidade agora dirigia os enormes carros a motor. Enoch Farrar, de Yorkshire, recebeu o primeiro em 1910. Ele alegou que era a invenção mais importante da ciência elétrica aplicada a diversões já apresentada a um público exigente, e que ele estava oferecendo "viagens em automóveis de verdade. viajando a 60 mph. sobre montanhas e vales através da bela paisagem alpina '.

Muitas feiras foram canceladas durante a guerra e a construção de novos brinquedos quase parou. Em condições de blecaute, embora existisse a ameaça de invasões do Zeppelin, algumas feiras conseguiram se manter ativas. No entanto, o impacto da guerra, juntamente com a depressão econômica que se seguiu em 1918, tornou a construção de novas rotatórias um investimento caro e retardou severamente o desenvolvimento de novas invenções. Neste momento de declínio, Savages só conseguiu construir alguns conjuntos dos antigos clássicos Gallopers, Steam Yachts e Scenic Railways, enquanto Orton, Sons e Spooner de Burton upon Trent continuaram trabalhando com a ideia dos Scenic Railways, apresentando novos temas como como dragões, pavões, baleias e golfinhos. O último Scenic Railway foi construído em 1925 para William Davis de Stoke on Trent.

Durante a década de 1920, a maioria dos novos designs de passeio vieram da Alemanha e da América para o Reino Unido. "The Whip", construído nos Estados Unidos por W.F. Mangels Co, de Coney Island, foi um dos passeios da nova era encontrando seu caminho para o recinto de feiras britânico. No entanto, foi o Chair-o-Plane alemão que se tornou uma cena muito mais comum na paisagem britânica de feiras. Embora alguns tenham sido construídos no Reino Unido, a maioria dos Chair-o-Planes foram importados da Alemanha, onde foram construídos por empresas como Bothmann of Gotha, Saxônia. Este passeio foi fácil de trazer para o país pela carga de cadeiras em vagões vivos de showmen britânicos como Tippler White, de Yorkshire.

Lagartas

Outra novidade introduzida na Grã-Bretanha no início dos anos 1920 foi a Caterpillar. Depois de uma temporada em um parque permanente, o primeiro exemplo foi assumido pelos Irmãos Verdes, que percorreram pelo menos quatro desses passeios. A maioria das lagartas foi construída no continente ou na América, mas algumas nasceram na Grã-Bretanha. Hoje eles estão restritos quase exclusivamente aos parques. Infelizmente, a máquina original de Green foi quebrada em Morecambe na década de 1980.

Rodas Grandes

A roda-gigante existe desde os balanços e rotundas e, assim como essas atrações clássicas de feiras, seus princípios básicos de design permaneceram inalterados desde então.

As rodas mais espetaculares, compostas por 40 carruagens e capazes de transportar mais de 1.000 passageiros, foram especialmente construídas para as primeiras exibições, como a Exposição Colombiana Mundial em Chicago em 1893 e a Exposição do Império da Inglaterra em Earls Court em 1894. Sua produção específica para viagens as feiras não começaram até meados do século XX com máquinas modestas contendo 16 carros, que foram eventualmente reduzidos a versões de 12 carros mais portáteis.

As rodas gigantes perderam seu apelo como um passeio emocionante no parque de exposições moderno. No entanto, eles têm surgido em todas as grandes cidades do mundo, comercializados como atrações turísticas e voltados para passeios turísticos. A London Eye é um belo exemplo desse novo conceito.

Os fabricantes europeus agora são capazes de construir rodas gigantescas, mas a roda se tornou mais um ícone do recinto de feiras do que um passeio popular.

Bolo Caminha

The Cake Walk surgiu por volta de 1909, em homenagem a uma dança rápida e frenética, e a publicidade dessa máquina como 'Cativante', 'Revigorante', 'Rejuvenescedora' e um 'Esporte Britânico Progressivo' capturou o espírito da época. O mecanismo consistia em pontes ondulantes e passarelas acionadas por manivelas, com o acionamento por correia freqüentemente conectado ao órgão de forma que uma aceleração da música significasse uma aceleração do passeio e uma aceleração da 'dança' dos pilotos. Isso foi um bom espetáculo e os showmen rapidamente aprenderam que um passeio que dá um bom espetáculo de visualização dá um bom lucro.

Dodgems

Os Dodgems como os conhecemos hoje foram introduzidos na Grã-Bretanha em 1928 pelos Srs. Lusse Brothers. Modelos anteriores desse tipo de passeio já existiam antes dessa época, mas não ganharam popularidade no Reino Unido até serem apresentados no recinto de feiras por várias empresas britânicas, incluindo Orton and Spooner, Robert Lakin, Lang Wheels e Rytecraft. Os selvagens estavam em declínio nessa época, mas eles construíram um conjunto de Dodgems para o showman londrino Patsy North.

A origem da trilha de Dodgem é difícil de rastrear com várias reivindicações de sua invenção e uma infinidade de patentes existentes. No entanto, o aspecto mais importante dos Dodgems é o desenvolvimento em seu formato atual, um carro de choque controlável movido por uma pick-up elétrica ligada às redes do teto.
A Pleasure Beach em Blackpool tinha uma máquina do tipo Dodgem já em 1913, chamada Witching Waves, em que o movimento era fornecido por um complexo arranjo de painéis de piso inclinados. É provável que tenha sido atualizado em 1921 com os Dodgems introduzidos e patenteados pelo concessionário George Tonner.

O índice de patentes de Paul Braithwaite tem várias entradas para Dodgems, a primeira patente é simplesmente descrita como um 'sistema Dodgem' em 1921, não está claro se isso se assemelhava a uma máquina moderna. Os próximos datam de 1923 e são descritos como 'Cavalo de balanço tipo Dodgem e carros de choque em pista côncava' e 'Carro de choque' patenteado pelos irmãos Lusse. A Lusse Brothers forneceu mais patentes nos anos seguintes para mecanismo de acionamento e direção, o que indica um desenvolvimento em direção aos Dodgems modernos. Ainda não está claro se o famoso captador elétrico via poste estava em operação neste momento. Três outras patentes se seguiram em 1928 de diferentes empresas, incluindo a Lusse Brothers para ‘Dodgem electrical equipment’, ‘Dodgem Car power unit’ e ‘Dodgem Car Enhanced bumper’. Certamente neste último período Lusse aperfeiçoou o carro Dodgem como um carro a motor microcósmico com designs futuristas surgindo até tempos recentes.

Novamente, foram Bothmanns que introduziram o que se tornaria possivelmente a mais popular de todas as rotundas dos anos entre guerras. A primeira Arca de Noé alemã foi inaugurada em Mitcham em 1930 por William Wilson. Quase imediatamente, Orton, Spooner e Robert Lakin começaram a construir suas próprias versões. Embora ambas as empresas tenham tentado construções diferentes, são os vários temas adotados que são mais lembrados.

A primeira Arca de Noé sobreviveu até meados da década de 1930, quando Lakin introduziu seus famosos passeios de Ben Hur, cavalos e carruagens agora eram apresentados nas plataformas. As cenas apresentadas por Edwin Hall do Circus Maximus em Roma, que ficaram famosas com o filme de 1925, foram consideradas de tirar o fôlego. Mais tarde, os cavalos deram lugar às motocicletas e, assim, o tema Speedway foi introduzido. Até a realeza foi celebrada com uma série de Coronation Speedways construídas em 1937.

Redemoinhos, Waltzers, Mont Blancs e Loch Ness Monsters

Mais ideias vieram da França e da Alemanha entre o final dos anos 1920 e o início dos anos 1930. O Skid or Swirl, uma imitação próxima do Whip, mas de construção circular, foi construído por Lakins, usando recursos adicionais sugeridos por Charles Thurston, que também trabalhou em estreita ligação com Lakins na construção da primeira Waltzer em 1933.

O Mont Blanc, originalmente trazido da França, também foi construído por Lakins, que mais tarde mudou seu tema e o chamou de Airways.

O novo interesse pelos movimentos subterrâneos no Loch Ness em 1935 deu origem a uma nova atração no mesmo ano. Tanto Lang Wheels quanto Lakins construíram brinquedos baseados no tema do Monstro de Loch Ness, no entanto, estes não se mostraram populares. O conceito deste passeio, no entanto, deu a ideia para outro novo passeio que surgiu pouco antes da eclosão da segunda guerra mundial, o Autódromo.

O velho ritmo sereno estabelecido por Gallopers e Switchbacks foi substituído pela nova tendência de velocidade que se tornou a essência de novos passeios. O exemplo perfeito desse novo passeio rápido e emocionante da década de 1930 foi o Moonrocket. O primeiro desses brinquedos foi importado por Joseph Schipper para John Collins, embora os modelos construídos por Lakin tenham se mostrado mais populares entre os clientes. A ilusão de velocidade foi aumentada fazendo com que toda a cúpula central, incluindo uma figura de Popeye montado em um pequeno foguete, girasse na direção oposta aos carros.

A Segunda Guerra Mundial e depois

O desenvolvimento de atrações para feiras após a Segunda Guerra Mundial foi rápido e frenético.

Pouco antes da guerra, algumas novidades americanas chegaram à Grã-Bretanha. O Octopus e o Dive Bomber, construídos pela Eyerly Company, eram funcionais por natureza e tinham as ricas decorações que um dia definiram o antigo recinto de feiras britânico. Os showmen britânicos adaptaram rapidamente esses brinquedos para dar a eles identidades únicas para indicar as emoções oferecidas por meio de obras de arte. A Grã-Bretanha também acrescentou suas próprias ideias e atrações com nomes como Furacão, Jatos, Torções, Satélites e Meteoritos logo povoaram o recinto da feira.

Lentamente, porém, foi a influência dos construtores alemães e italianos que colocaram de volta em uso as habilidades decorativas dos artistas do British Fairground. O Superbob, o Matterhorn, o Pirate Boat e o Break Dance, todos têm "back-flashes" que dão ao passeio um tema. Às vezes, eram inspirados em filmes de grande sucesso e sucessos da música pop, como Ghostbusters e Thriller. A parte final deste renascimento na arte de feiras veio com a introdução da Miami Trip, na qual o Reino Unido se estabeleceu como o topo do design de arte de feiras.

A competição na década de 1990 ainda incentivava os showmen a investirem em novos brinquedos, mas cada vez mais essa demanda vem sendo atendida por fabricantes estrangeiros. Top Spins, Orbiters e Quasars foram construídos na Grã-Bretanha, como foi o Super Bowl de Wilson, mas os passeios de grande sucesso vêm cada vez mais de fabricantes holandeses e italianos. O desenvolvimento de passeios de spinning e looping altamente avançados ainda está em andamento e parece que continuará por muito tempo no século XXI.


Gentry Bros. Twin Steam Calliope # 1

(1) Sullivan & amp Eagle na verdade construíram dois vagões Calliope idênticos, bem como vagões de banda e vagões de ingressos para os Gentry Bros. Famous Shows, que operavam de uma a quatro unidades por ano no início dos anos 1900 & # 8217s. Alguns especulam que havia um terceiro conjunto de vagões idênticos, mas nenhuma prova apareceu de que tal fosse o caso. O calliope retratado foi construído em 1902 para Gentry Bros. e estava nas unidades do show & # 8217s de 1902 até a temporada de 1922. As unidades Gentry finalmente se reduziram a uma e aquele show foi operado pela última vez pelos Gentry Brothers em 1916 e após a temporada foi vendido para Newman e Austin, que continuaram operando o show de 1917 até as temporadas de 1922.

No inverno de 1922-23, o calliope junto com o outro equipamento foi vendido para James Patterson de Paola, Kansas. Em 1923, o calliope foi colocado no circo Patterson & # 8217s chamado Gentry Bros. e James Patterson Combined Circus, um belo, limpo, pequeno show de 15 carros que estava na estrada durante a temporada de 1925. No inverno de 1925-26, Patterson vendeu o show para Floyd e Howard King.

(1926 & # 8211 Joseph Bradbury Album # 6 & # 8211 photo # 44D & # 8211 Gentry Bros. Circus & # 8211 E. Deacon Albright, jogador, de pé na carroça. Observe a reconstrução do quadro de queda da carroça. Foto de Walker Morris.)

Para as temporadas de 1926 e 1927, os Kings colocaram o calliope em seu circo de 10 carros intitulado Gentry Bros. Em 1928, o show foi chamado de Walter L. Main, e em 1929 e 1930 o show foi chamado de Cole Bros. World Toured Shows. Cole Bros. faliu em 30 de agosto de 1930 em Scottsville, Ky., E logo depois disso o calliope com a outra propriedade foi vendido para H. C. Ingraham e Bert Rutherford, que o enviaram para Peoria, Illinois, para o seu proposto circo. O show deles nunca começou e o vagão foi posteriormente adquirido pela Venice Transportation Co., que tinha uma hipoteca sobre a propriedade Cole.

Em 1938, G. W. Christy comprou a propriedade Cole e despachou-a para sua casa em South Houston, Texas. Corria o boato de que Christy estava voltando para a estrada com um circo ferroviário, porém isso não aconteceu. Christy anunciou o show para venda como uma unidade, mas não encontrando compradores, ele finalmente vendeu a maior parte aos poucos, começando por volta de 1945. O calliope foi vendido para o Dr. CS Karland Frischkorn de Norfolk, Virgínia, que era fã de circo e também operava shows de mágica . Ele renovou a carroça e substituiu as rodas do tipo sunburst por pneus pneumáticos.

(1955 & # 8211 J0seph Bradbury Album # 26 & # 8211 foto # 4C & # 8211 King Bros. Circus Steam Calliope)

No início da primavera de 1952, esse escritor estava visitando o quartel-general do King Bros. Cristiani Combined Circus em Central City Park, Macon, Geórgia, examinando o equipamento que estava sendo montado para o desfile de rua que o show estava revivendo para aquela temporada. Floyd King me disse que tinha acabado de obter um antigo caliope a vapor e estava muito orgulhoso desse fato. Quando ele me mostrou uma foto dele, eu o reconheci instantaneamente, e Floyd comentou que ele o possuíra anos atrás. E era verdade, a caliope a vapor que ele possuía 22 anos atrás havia voltado para ele novamente. Foi entregue cerca de uma semana antes da data de inauguração. Foi equipado para a estrada com um trator acoplado para puxá-lo sobre a estrada e trouxe à tona os desfiles de rua King-Cristiani de 1952 e 1953, e os desfiles King Bros. de 1954 e 1955. Após desastre financeiro o enorme King 1955 mostra que o equipamento foi dividido em duas unidades menores em 1956, ambas intituladas King Bros., mas uma conhecida como Unidade Oriental, gerenciada por Floyd King, a outra conhecida como Unidade Ocidental e gerenciada por Arnold Maley. O calliope a vapor foi com a Unidade Oriental. Eu o ouvi tocar no desfile abreviado de 1956 da Unidade Leste no dia da abertura em Macon em 1956. Poucos dias depois, grande parte do equipamento do desfile foi anexado, abandonado e o desfile foi concluído. O show continuou mancando por vários meses antes de encerrar. O receptor show & # 8217s vendeu o caliope a vapor no outono de 1956 para o Blue Grass Shows, um carnaval, que pretendia usá-lo para um lote de alarde.

Tendo tentado encontrar um carrossel para o Drive no teatro por quase nove anos, C.E. Bradshaw de Martin, S.D. encontrei um anúncio na Billboard de & # 8220Specks & # 8221 Grosskurth oferecendo o calliope para venda. Dirigindo para Owensboro, KY. para ver, Bradshaw e seu associado, Roy Metzger de Winner, S.D. gostou do que viu, comprou e dirigiu até O & # 8217Neill, Nebraska, onde permaneceu por quase 30 anos. As dificuldades em conseguir peças e consertos tornaram esse esquema impossível, mas finalmente um velho funcionário aposentado de um fabricante de calibres a vapor o colocou em funcionamento. Originalmente construído como uma unidade de 20 apitos, o vagão foi mais tarde modificado para aumentar o calliope para uma unidade de 32 apitos. A caldeira a carvão também foi modificada como uma caldeira a gás propano.

(2009 & # 8211 Peru Circus Parade & # 8211 Bob Cline Photo)

O ex-Gentry Bros. Circus Steam Calliope está agora de volta em casa no Peru, Indiana, onde começou sua jornada há quase 120 anos. Os proprietários, Peter Redmon e James Clary, foram informados da existência do vagão em um galpão em Nebraska. Eles foram até lá e compraram em julho de 1987. Em 1987, o vagão / caminhão foi emprestado ao recém-criado Hall da Fama do Circo Internacional. Os proprietários, Peter Redmon e James Clary, doaram esta unidade para o Circus City Festival em 23 de dezembro de 1994, onde permanece até hoje.

(1) Trechos do arquivo de história do Circus Wagon, Bandwagon, Vol. 4, nº 6 (novembro-dezembro), 1960, pp. 3-5


A antiga estrada de ferro com trens carnaval e de circo

Por: “Doc” Rivera

O circo americano é mais antigo que o próprio país. A primeira trupe de circo registrada remonta a 1724, quando uma pequena trupe deu sua primeira apresentação em uma arena aberta fora da Filadélfia. A primeira apresentação de circo completa é geralmente atribuída a John Bill Rickets, que construiu um anfiteatro na Filadélfia e fez sua primeira apresentação em 3 de abril de 1793.

O presidente George Washington era um ávido fã de circo e compareceu ao Rickets & # 8217 Show em 23 e 24 de abril de 1793. No início da década de 1820, havia aproximadamente trinta circos de animais viajando pelo leste dos Estados Unidos. Esses shows se moviam à noite de carroça, por estradas secundárias, muitas vezes atolados na lama. Durante o apogeu do circo ferroviário, esses programas seriam conhecidos como & # 8220Mud Shows & # 8221 por razões óbvias. Houve uma tentativa ocasional de ferrovia por alguns dos primeiros programas, mas a maioria voltou para os vagões e estradas rurais depois de apenas uma temporada.

Eventualmente, o termo & # 8220railroad show & # 8221 tornou-se sinônimo de grandes circos e carnavais. Nos primeiros anos, as pessoas começaram a pensar que se um circo ou carnaval viajava de trem, tinha que ser moderno e grande. Um show que fez a transição de um show de lama para os trilhos chegou ao grande momento. A ferrovia impactou o tipo de equipamento transportado pelos diversos shows. Os shows de lama fizeram todos os esforços para manter seus vagões leves e pequenos em tamanho, mas o show da ferrovia permitiu que os shows aumentassem as dimensões e o peso de seus vagões. Depois que os donos de programas preocupados com o dinheiro encheram o interior de seus vagões, eles modificaram a parte externa para transportar ainda mais equipamentos. Os vagões foram posteriormente modificados para incluir a remoção ou virada das linguetas dos vagões usadas para puxá-los para o terreno do show, de modo que pudessem obter mais vagões em um vagão vazio. Quando o proprietário da ferrovia não pôde mais modificar o vagão para transportar mais equipamentos, eles próprios modificaram os vagões. O circo e os carnavais não desperdiçavam espaço nos vagões, postes de barracas extras, peças de passeio e vários equipamentos eram armazenados nos tetos dos vagões ou embaixo dos vagões nos vagões. Alguns desses primeiros programas tinham tanto equipamento excedente amontoado dentro e sobre os vagões que as laterais se projetavam perigosamente além das laterais dos próprios vagões. (Veja a foto)

Um exemplo de um início de 1900 & # 8217s & # 8220Show Train & # 8221

As ferrovias geralmente cobravam do show para transportar seus trens em múltiplos de cinco ou dez vagões. Se um show consistia de dez a 35 carros, o encargo da ferrovia em incrementos de 5 carros mostra de quarenta ou mais carros era cobrado em incrementos de dez carros. Portanto, quer o trem-espetáculo consistisse em 16 ou 20 carros, o proprietário era cobrado por uma movimentação de 20 carros. Portanto, você descobrirá que o comprimento da maioria dos trens de exibição era em múltiplos de cinco ou dez. Antes dos dias dos caminhões e tratores, quando os cavalos eram o principal meio de transporte dos vagões do trem para o estacionamento do circo, o trem consistia em aproximadamente 50% de vagões, 25% de vagões e 25% de vagões. A typical 20 car train of the time would consist of 5 stock cars, 10 flats, and four coaches. The fifth coach would be traveling ahead of the show as an advance or advertising car, perhaps connected to a scheduled railroad passenger train, but was still included as one of the 20 cars of the train.

The “Gilly” Show – Railroad History from Circus Trains and Carnival Trains

Two car railroad shows began around the 1890s. For many a fledgling operator, the introduction into outdoor show business was on a shoestring budget. Few could afford the initial outlay of money that was required to get a show of any decent size on the road. The “Gilly” show was entirely different in operation than the flatcar circus and carnival. These shows came to be known as “Two Car Shows” since that is exactly what most of them had, two railroad cars. Although the large flatcar railroad shows moved on their own schedule, the Two Car Show moved on regularly scheduled trains, usually passenger trains. They mainly consisted of a baggage car and a coach.

In the days of these Two Car Railroad shows, it was standard railroad procedure that anyone buying a specific number of first-class tickets, usually 25, received a free baggage car.

Even with the two-car railroad show that might own its own cars, the railroads operated the same way. Buy the specified number of first-class train tickets and the railroad moved the cars for free. Many a two-car show owner would buy only the required number of tickets but carry upwards of 75 people. These un-ticketed people would hide in possum bellies, any available compartment, and especially the baggage car until the conductor had received the tickets and counted the people on the car.

Frequently, the two car shows would rent a show lot from the railroad and set up adjoining the railroad cars on the siding. Most of these two car shows trooped as “gilly shows,” which meant that the show either hired local farmers with wagons to move the show from the train to the show lot, or they carried their own gilly wagon. This was basically a skeletal wagon with removable wagon wheels. When the show was traveling, the wagon would be disassembled and shoved into any remaining space on the baggage car. Most showmen of the day knew the amount of work associated with a Gilly operation and the infrequency of the paydays and stayed away from such operations. Most of these Gilly Shows were considered “high grass” shows in the circuses and carnival business, They were shows that played the small, sparsely populated, rural towns of America. All equipment had to be torn down, loaded onto the wagon, then transported to the railcar. The wagon would then be returned to the lot to get whatever equipment was left. This process might require a half dozen trips. Once at the rail car, it would have to be reloaded from the wagon and packed tightly into the train. When the train reached the show’s destination, the whole process had to be repeated in reverse. The last of the Gilly Shows was Cooper Bros. Circus which called it quits at the end of their 1934 season.

Rail Equipment of The Old Shows – Railroad History from Circus Trains and Carnival Trains

Since the railroads charged the show by the number of cars moved, not the length or weight, the shows’ ownership built longer car lengths of 50 feet, then 60 feet, and finally 72 feet. It cost the shows the same amount to move ten 40 foot cars as it did to move ten 60 foot ones. The modern Ringling show uses flats of 85-foot length. In the heyday of the railroad show, two companies emerged as the primary suppliers of circus and carnival flat and stock cars, the Warren Tank Car Company and Mount Vernon Car Manufacturing Company. The trains coaches were used equipment purchased from the railroads or other defunct shows that had gone ‘belly up.’

In 1923, following World War I, and again in1947, after World War II, the Ringling Brothers Circus purchased surplus hospital cars from the government and converted them for circus use. The three basic types of carnival and circus railroad cars used from the 1930’s into the 1950’s were flat cars, stock cars, and coaches. Along with these cars, there were some specially modified and unique cars.

Stock cars were usually coupled directly behind the locomotive to help minimize jolting the animals, then came the flat cars which were the heaviest due to the rides and other equipment, and finally, the coaches brought up the rear of the train.

Show trains were moved in sections. Prior to WW II, RBBB had 100 cars which were moved in four sections. According to Emmett Kelly, Jr., it cost the circus about $1000 to rent the locomotive which moved each circus train section and $1.00 a mile to move the Ringling Bros. show following World War II. In 1947, RBBB traveled on 109 cars, the largest railroad circus in history. In 1949, the RBBB moved on 89 circus railroad cars which when fully loaded weighed approximately 6,850 tons. If this same equipment was moved on standard rail cars of the time, it would have required a 178 car freight train.

Railroad carnivals could be much heavier due to the weight of the rides and heavier built wagons that were primarily constructed from iron and oak.

Motive power for the show train was always provided by the railroads. What type of motive power did the railroads use to move the heavy circus trains? 2-8-2 Mikados by the Chicago and North Western Railway and Santa Fe, 4-8-4 Northerns by the Union Pacific and Milwaukee Road the Chicago Burlington & Quincy (the Burlington ) used EMD 6000 horsepower freight diesels.

Even though circus trains included passenger coaches, they were always moved as freight by the railroads, and so, the railroad’s caboose brought up the rear.

Flat Cars – Railroad History for Circus Trains and Carnival Trains

The early flat cars, like most railroad equipment of the era, were made of wood by wagon companies or contracted in railroad shops. They required adjustable metal truss rods along the bottom to keep the sag out of the car due to the heavy loads they had to bear up under. They were a maintenance nightmare due to wear and weather and required constant attention by the train crew.

The first show flats of steel construction were sixty-foot cars. The first show to use these flats was the Buffalo Bill’s Wild West show in 1911. By the 1920’s the Warren Tank Car Company of Warren, Pennsylvania, and the Mt. Vernon Car Manufacturing Company of Mt. Vernon, Illinois, were the principal providers of the steel circus and carnival flat cars. In 1926, both these companies were competing heavily to get circuses and carnivals to convert from the 60-foot cars to their new 70 and 72 foot flats. Two other companies produced limited amounts of steel show flat cars, Keith provided cars similar in appearance to those manufactured by Warren to the Hagenbeck-Wallace and the Sells-Floto circuses in the 1920s. The other company was the Thrall Car Company of Chicago which built five flat cars in 1947 for Ringling Brothers Circus stayed with the wooden flats longer than the other circus, using them into the late 1920s, beginning the conversion to Warren flats in 1928. The last of the wooden flats, which originated with the 101 Ranch Wild West Show, were used by the Bill Hames Carnival in the 1940’s.

The 70 foot Mount Vernon flat cars can be distinguished by the pot belly sides with ribs. (see photo on right)

The 72 foot Warren flat car had no ribs and gently arcing sides on both top and bottom. A typical Warren flat car measures 73 feet over the couplers, seventy feet for the bed, and 9′ 9 1/4″ in width. (See photo on left)

Stock Cars – Railroad History Circus Trains and Carnival Trains

Stock cars were 72 feet long and of two basic types. One was designed for the horses and ring stock and the other for the elephants, or in circus parlance, “bulls.” Like the flat cars, most stock cars were built by the Warren Tank Car Company or Mount Vernon Car Manufacturing.

The cars used to transport the bulls had solid sides and small windows for ventilation near the top of the car since the elephants were susceptible to pneumonia. They were also about a foot taller than the other stock cars and had larger doors positioned directly across from each other in the center of the car. The elephants were usually positioned in three pairs at each end of the car and another elephant could be loaded at the center of the car, facing a door. Thus, each bull car could carry 12 or 13 adult elephants. If a circus did not have this many bulls, one end of the car might be outfitted with bunks for the “bullmen,” or elephant handlers.

Before tractors and trucks were in widespread use, the circus carried two types of horses. Baggage stock were the draft horses used to move the wagons between the train and the lot and in the show parade and the ring stock which were the horses that performed in the show. Rail cars which carried ring stock were equipped with individual stalls for each horse. Baggage stock did not have stalls but were loaded side by side, always in the same spot, in each end of the car. Since the baggage stock would be needed immediately at the next city, they were carried with their harnesses on. Chains were hung from the roof of the car with a hook on the end. The horse’s collar was attached to the hook to relieve the weight around its neck. The harnesses were only removed from the baggage horses at the horse tops (stable tents) on the show lot during the day. Each stock car had troughs running the length of the car so that the horses could be fed in route during long hauls. Each trough had a lid with a chain attached. The chain ran to a handle in the roof and during the trip, the attendants would walk along the roof and raise the trough lids to feed the horses. The loading ramps for cars that carried ring stock had sides, but those for baggage stock did not since the harnesses and collars had a tendency to catch the rails as the stock was loaded or unloaded. The ramps were stored on racks located under the car during a jump.

A typical stock car could carry about 27 baggage horses or 32 ring stock. Ponies and other small animals could be double-decked so that no space was wasted. If there was still extra space inside, it was used to store extra supplies of programs, tickets, and concession items. Doors on these cars were offset on each side, that is not across from each other. This permitted loading the entire length of the car with stock, no wasted space in the center of the car as there would be if the doors were directly across from each other.

Into the 1920s, most stock cars were wooden, including the ends. With the arrival of the steel flats, the ends of the stock cars became more solid as they were made from corrugated steel. The stock cars used by the Ringling Bros. today are converted from former passenger cars and are equipped with automatic, temperature controlled watering devices and air conditioning. (See Photo)

Coaches and Unique Passenger Cars – Railroad History From Circus Trains and Carnival Trains

Although a very few shows bought new coaches for their personnel, most carnivals and circuses purchased obsolete or at least, used, railroad equipment. Almost without exception, any coach coming into the shows rolling stock lineup was immediately gutted of everything that the Pullman company had installed.

The circus had a very strict employee caste system and this was no more pronounced than in personnel sleeping assignments on board the train. Featured performers and key personnel were often assigned a stateroom or perhaps even a half or third of a car. Some of the larger shows might even have a private coach for the owner or star performer (See photo), such as Tom Mix on the Cole Bros. train. The Ringling train carried two private cars, one for John Ringling, “The Jomar“, and another for Charles Ringling, “The Caledonia“. However, these were the rare exceptions. Most of the circus coaches were filled top to bottom with berths. An individual’s assignment in the circus and length of employment dictated the assigned berth. A newcomer, or “First of May” in show parlance, might be assigned the top berth. Working men might be assigned two to a bunk. These cars were not air-conditioned and many a circus and carnival worker chose to sleep on an open flat, beneath the wagons, on a hot summer night. The same premise held true for carnivals although they didn’t have the rigid caste system of the circuses. Bosses and their families that were part of the office hierarchy such as the Ride Superintendent, Train Master or Lot Man could be assured a better stateroom appointment while the “Roughies” and “Ride Monkeys” could expect a plywood bunk in a gutted out former coach with a shared toilet at the end of the car. Since there was no air-conditioning, these coaches could usually be identified by the smell that emanated from them, especially during the hot summer months. There were no porters on most carnival trains.

Coaches were assigned by circus department, for example, band members might be assigned to one car, performers and staff to another, clowns to another, and so forth. Single girls were assigned to a separate car which became nicknamed “the virgin car.”

The porter assigned to each car was not only the housekeeper but the law on the car. He enforced the rules and settled disputes. He also was the mailman and ran errands for the occupants of his car. For these duties, he was tipped quite handsomely from his “charges.”

In 1947, RBBB had taken possession of surplus hospital cars purchased from the government following World War II. These cars were converted for use by the circus. (The Monon Railroad’s coaches for trains like the Thoroughbred were also converted hospital cars.) In 1986, three of these converted hospital cars were seen in a Tampa, FL, scrap yard awaiting demolition. One of these hospital cars, Advertising Car No. 1, is preserved at the Circus World Museum in Baraboo, WI.

In later years, most of the Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Circus Coaches had hot water and showers. Each had a porter assigned whose responsibility was to make up the beds and keep the car clean. One car had short berths for the midgets as well as special berths for the fat lady and giant. One car was designated for the single women of the show and had a “car mother” assigned to look after the girls another was set up for families , and another for the single men. Unlike most other railroad shows, every working man had his own berth. The early circus coaches sometimes had berths three high some shows had a single berth at the top of the car and a double berth below in which two workers slept.

Unique Rail Cars – Railroad History From Circus Trains and Carnival Trains

In 1936, Ringling Brothers added a hospital car, Number 99, called the “Florence Nightingale” to the circus train. This luxury traveled with the show for only one year.

In 1949, Ringling Brothers added a laundry car with commercial laundry equipment to do the shows dry cleaning and laundry.

John Ringling’s private car, the Jomar, had a cook, valet, and secretary who stayed with the car even with John Ringling was not on the show. It contained a living room, staterooms, full-sized bathroom, dining room, kitchen, and quarters for the chef and butler. This car reportedly cost John Ringling $100,000, not a small sum in 1921. Today this car can be seen, fully restored to its former splendor, as a static exhibit at the Ringling Museum in Sarasota Florida. It is an absolutely beautiful and magnificent piece of show history.

The Pie Car – Railroad History From Circus Trains and Carnival Trains

The Pie Car is the closest thing the show train has to a railroad diner or club car. The Pie Car served as the social gathering place while the train was in route. Sometimes, the operation was let out as a concession and on other shows, it was run the by the show’s management. The Pie Car offered short-order food and some had a bar. Show personnel could usually find a game of cards or dice in progress in the Pie Car. The Pie Car did not always serve full meals for the show people on many shows. One exception was the Nickel Plate Shows which had no cookhouse and fed its personnel three meals per day in the Pie Car. The Pie Cars on today’s Red and Blue Units of the Ringling Bros. Circus are dining cars and a large portion of those shows’ personnel eat their meals in the Pie Car. However, these modern day Pie Cars still offer short orders from an early breakfast to a midnight snack.

Advance or Advertising Car – Railroad History From Circus Trains and Carnival Trains

The advance car went well ahead of the show, usually as part of the back end of a passenger consist. It was usually identified by the flamboyant, bright and artistic paintwork it carried.

This car was designed to be noticed. (See photo) Its function was to alert the population in the area of the show’s arrival. The advance car, in addition to sparse living accommodations, had large wooden tables and reams of “bills” ( bright and colorful posters) that could range in size from a window card to a ‘multi-sheet’ that could cover the entire side of a building or barn. The stories regarding the escapades of the advance teams are the stuff of legends as they often pasted their bills over every surface possible despite the property owners objections.

Golias” Car – Railroad History From Circus Trains and Carnival Trains

In 1928, Ringling featured a sea elephant, named Goliath. The previous year, the Warren company had built Ringling a modified stock car for a white elephant which had been exhibited in 1927. This car had an off-center dividing wall which divided the car into a short and long end. In 1928, Ringling installed a large water tank in the short end of the car for Goliath , and filled the long end of the car with regular elephants. When Goliath was returned to the car each day, his specially built flatbed wagon was backed up to an extra door on this customized stockcar and Goliath would enter his private compartment. This specially modified car presented problems during transportation since the sloshing of Goliath in the tank and the movement of the water would cause the car to sway and frequently derail. This car was on the Ringling circus train for four years and traveled a fifth year with the Ringling owned Sells-Floto Circus train.


Steam Circus - History

This reminds me of the hidden horror Hateful route in Hatoful Boyfriend!

It also JUST knocked me that they're, like, Joseph and Mary. and all of their kids are Jesus-like named. OMFG GUYS DO YOU SMELL SULPHUR HERE CALL THE EXORCIST.

The tricky thing about LGBT games is we HATE seeing games about being gay. It sort of objectifies the whole issue and alienates us. It feels like "you are one thing, the viewer, but now here is GAY."
However, we LOVE seeing stories about realistic characters that happen to be gay, which is what dream daddy does.
It's weird people don't seem to get this. Like, you'd just make a normal game, with normal characters, etc etc, the only difference being the characters happen to be gay.

Now, for game genres I'd like to see more LGBT representation in would be, of course, visual novels and dating sims. Most visual novels or dating sims featuring gay characters fetishize the character's sexuality or make it about the character BEING gay. You can't write a character that is gay. You need to write a character that HAPPENS TO BE gay.
We aren't CONSUMED by our gayness all day every day. We have our own personalities, quirks, likes and dislikes, all completely separate from our sexuality and THAT'S what I (and I assume others of the community) would LOVE to see more of!

well it's because this game isn't erotic, doesn't fetishize the LGBT community OR dads, and overall is a wholesome game about friendship, bonds, and family.
I'm pretty sure most of the games you are referring to by erotic are just that, erotic games that objectify women, men, the LGBT, or whatever other content it has. Those games are built literally for people to fap to and many people find it disgusting and do not approve of it, ie look down on players of those games.
Some erotic games are good, but many shriek "I have tits PLS fap to me! Also there's no real story or personality to anything and all actions are unjustified or justified by stupid reasons!"

Since this game is nothing like an erotic game, it wouldn't be getting the same hatred as erotic games. Does this make sense to you?

Except it seems you have a prejudice about the word erotic. Can you also please not try to think for me ''I'm pretty sure most of the games you are referring to'' you sound just like the mindless general sheep. I never said anything in the sense as you just did. erotic has a lot of forms and meanings not just the objectification of women you just tried to blame me of. In that regard it does not make sense to me. And in my opinion having the option to make out and or sleep with someone is erotic so in this case it does apply to this sim. ''In my opinion'' apparently it is necessary to state this every time as it isn't apparent enough. Okay babe, maybe this'll help.

Definition of erotic:
"relating to or tending to arouse sexual desire or excitement."

"not just the objectification of women you just tried to blame me of" I listed more than women doll. It feels like you have an agenda )

"And in my opinion having the option to make out and or sleep with someone is erotic so in this case it does apply to this sim." You'd be right if and only if it was graphic in either words or visual, and it is neither. Erotic games explicitly feature graphic sexual scenes. All erotic games do, otherwise it is not considered an erotic game. You might be confusing a normal dating game (it would be literally like this game, no erotic scenes, no graphic scenes, only mild suggestions) with an erotic game. If you're not, then your opinion doesn't matter on what qualifies content as erotic. There are regulations and in those regulations, for a game to be erotic is needs to have graphic sexual content. Período.


Collection descriptions

  • o Malcolm Airey Collection contains a large number of circus programmes from both the UK and Europe including Billy Smart and Belle Vue.
  • o Hull Fair Project was conducted with funding from The Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) and contains many images which are available to view in the reading room.
  • Harold Dever: a collection of over 300 photographs of rides, engines, shows and acts from a variety of fairs and shows.
  • Jack Leeson: over 11,000 photographs and negatives, both collected and taken by Leeson, and notebooks with detailed lists of every fair visited.
  • Ron White: collection of digitised photographs of Scottish fairs
  • Stanley Houghton (1881-1913): playwirght whose most famous work Hindle Wakes, 1912, has been filmed several times the story includes a trip to Blackpool.

Steam Circus - History

Photographs by the author. [You may use these images without prior permission for any scholarly or educational purpose as long as you (1) credit the photographer and (2) link your document to this URL or cite the Victorian Web in a print one. Click on all the images to enlarge them.]

Steam Gallopers

Jubilee Steam Gallopers . This set of hand-painted wooden fairground horses is still doing the rounds for Carter's travelling Steam Fair of Maidenhead in Berkshire, the largest independent fair in the country — and one which numbers amongst its rides an "overboats" wheel of 1875, the very oldest working fairground ride in Britain (see Storr, and "Carter's Overboats"). Although the ride shown above is not the oldest, it is still (if only just) Victorian. Information given on one of the central panels tells us that the horses were originally built by Robert Tidman & Sons, Norwich, in about 1895. According to Grace's Guide , Tidman's firm operated between 1883 and 1925. Naturally, restoration, repainting (by hand), and replacement has continued since then, but always in the style of the original.

Left: A closer view of one of the "Gallopers." Right: The steam engine powering the ride.

It is worth noting that this is not a carousel on the American model. It turns clockwise rather than anti-clockwise, and the horses are generally different from each other. Their motion is different too. Carter's description of them on their own website explains that this is, in fact,

a very British ride, born of a time when normal working people couldn't afford their own horse. It provided a much-needed flight of fancy, a break from the drudgery of work, and often they would be highly decorated with exotic scenes, portraits of actors and actresses, of great men and royalty. In the days before cinema or television, it was transporting people into a gaily-coloured world. They're called Gallopers because the horses speed round, and as they race they're pulled up and down on cams, which gives them a "galloping" motion. When they were made in about 1895, this would have been the fastest most people had ever travelled.

Left: A closer view of the organ.

Although it was acquired later on, the engine is thought to be about the same age as the horses, especially since it fitted perfectly into place. The 46-key organ dates from not much later, about 1900, and was built by the celebrated French firm of Gavioli et Cie.

In the first half of the nineteenth century, travelling shows were generally circuses or menageries (like George Wombwell's Travelling Circus) panoramic or lantern-slide shows waxworks (like Mrs Jarley's in Dickens's The Old Curiosity Shop ) or freak shows — some of which became more popular than ever in the course of the century. Traditional fairs, on the other hand, held regularly on commons and greens from centuries back, were going out of fashion. No longer needed for such purposes as selling farm produce and livestock, or hiring labour, they had become too rowdy for their neighbourhoods. The increasingly notorious twice-yearly Greenwich Fair, for example, was stopped in 1857. Many others were hit by a series of restrictive Fairs Acts in the late sixties and early seventies: it seemed, as Jerry White suggests, that this was a matter not just of "civic disapproval" but of "changing taste" as well (210).

Yet just when they seemed doomed to disappear, along came a new attraction: the use of steam to power exciting new rides:

Mechanisation shifted the emphasis from the shows, which were rooted in the past, to the rides which gave the showmen complete freedom to keep in step with the technological advancements of an ever revolutionary age. By the end of the Victorian era the landscape of the fairground was populated by rides of all kinds: steam yachts, switchbacks and of course the galloping horses. ["History of the Fairground"].

Steam Yachts

Left: Carter's Steam Yachts, seen from the back to show the engine. Right: Carter's steam yachts in action.

The steam yachts, with real flags flying and huge painted ones covering the entire bottom of each boat, are almost as spectacular as the carousel. They are actually more scary to ride on than the "Gallopers" because at the height of their swing they are almost vertical. This is a very rare surviving example of its kind, built in 1921 — but the engine itself dates from even earlier, having been saved from a scrapyard and restored.

Left to right: (a) Three-quarter view of the engine, with its tall funnel. (b) Britannia in motion. (c) Stoking the engine (the activity is just visible).

The Steam Yachts' engine "Yorky" dates from 1901, and was made by Savage Brothers of King's Lynn, founded by Frederick Savage in 1850. The firm made steam engines for a variety of purposes, including ones for showmen and fair rides. This engine was originally for Waddington's (see "Excelsior Steam Yachts"). Waddington was a big name in fairground history, especially with regard to steam fairs:

The impact of the steam machine on the development of the riding machine was profound. As the nineteenth century drew to a close numerous patents were taken out for new ideas and designs. Sometimes it was the roundabout proprietors themselves who tried out new ideas, including Abraham Waddington of Yorkshire who patented his idea in 1870.

If the roundabout could be mechanised, so could the swing. A patent taken out in 1888 introduced the Steam Yachts. William Cartwright of Bromwich first succeeded in building a set using upright cylinders. Savages also began building Steam Yachts, using Cartwright's improved patent of 1894. The Yachts were often given the names of the latest liners: Lusitania and Mauretania, Cymric and Celtic, although Olympia and Titanic proved short lived names on John Collins’ set. ["History of Fairground Rides"]

Left: The organ at the front of the ride (the engine is behind it).

Carter's two swinging yachts are called Britannia (perhaps after the Prince of Wales's racing cutter, built in 1893), and Columbia (possibly after a famous American racing yacht of 1899 it has the stars-and-stripes on its base). It is good to see this interest in the larger world, as, in other ways, the fair seems so fervently patriotic! At the front, making a glitzy show that obscures the engine, and sending out its typical fairground music in competition with the Gallopers, is a 47-key organ hand-built for the yachts in 1984 by Dean Organ Builders — as explained on the information panel just below it. The style is entirely authentic, and the result is a complete set of steam yachts. According to the same information panel, it is one of only two surviving, and the only one in the world to still be travelling round on a regular basis.

Traditional rides and side-shows

Left to right: (a) The "overboats" wheel. (b) A "train ride" for younger fair-goers. (c) One of the "Try your strength" strikers. Note the Prince of Wales's feathers at the top.

The more traditional elements of the old fairs also got a new lease of life now. The "overboats" wheel shown here is a more up-to-date version of the Steam Fair's restored, hand-cranked wheel, which only has two boats, and is still in use (although, because it is so labour intensive, it is not part of their travelling fair). A "train ride" for the little ones was naturally popular in the new age of railway travel, and is represented here too. Other stands and side-shows like the "striker," a shooting gallery, a mirror house, coconut shy, ghost train and so on, as well as candy floss and other snack food kiosks, make for a lively and varied fair-going experience for people of all ages. Carter's is unique not only in the historical backgrounds of the individual rides and fairground structures, including even the showpeople's living and moving arrangements, but also in the quality of their hand-painted lettering and hand-painted and gilded decorations. These combine to give an authentic flavour of the popular late-Victorian/early twentieth-century travelling fair.

Queen Victoria featured on one of the overhead signs on the Gallopers. She looks distinctly unamused — but she was, in reality, not a bit strait-laced.

Bibliografia

"About Carter's Steam Fair." Carter's Steam Fair . Rede. 6 May 2018.

"Carter's Overboats." Carter's Steam Fair . Rede. 6 May 2018.

"Excelsior Steam Yachts." Carter's Steam Fair . Rede. 6 May 2018.

"Fairground Organs." Dean Organ Builders . Rede. 6 May 2018.

"History of Fairground Rides." National Fairground and Circus Archive (University of Sheffield). Rede. 6 May 2018.

"History of the Fairground." National Fairground and Circus Archive (University of Sheffield). Rede. 6 May 2018.

Horn, Pamela. Pleasures and Pastimes in Victorian Britain . Stroud, Glos.: Amberley, 2011 (see Ch. 4).

"Robert Tidman and Sons." Grace's Guide . Rede. 6 May 2018.

"Savage Brothers." Grace's Guide . Rede. 6 May 2018.

White, Jerry. London in the Nineteenth Century: "A Human Awful Wonder of God." London: Cape, 2007. [Review]


Beginnings: The Ringling Brothers

Meanwhile, elsewhere in Wisconsin, “the cradle of circuses,” five siblings of German-French heritage, the Rüngeling (later Ringling) brothers (Albert, Otto, Alfred, Charles, and John), were in the process of founding their own circus in Baraboo. Beginning as a song-and-dance troupe in 1882, it grew into a one-ring circus by 1884 and added its first elephant in 1888. After taking the show—the Ringling Bros. United Monster Shows, Great Double Circus, Royal European Menagerie, Museum, Caravan, and Congress of Trained Animals—on the road in horse-drawn wagons, the Ringlings began transporting their circus by railroad in 1890, making it possible for them to take a larger production on longer tours. In 1895, as the rivalry grew between the Ringling brothers’ circus and Barnum and Bailey’s circus, the two organizations agreed to divide the market geographically.


Assista o vídeo: Circus Juventas - Steam 2018