Máquinas de fiação de linho

Máquinas de fiação de linho


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Em junho de 1787, dois homens de Darlington, John Kendrew, um moedor de vidro, e Thomas Porthouse, um relojoeiro, registraram uma patente para uma nova máquina de fiar linho. O equipamento era composto por um desenho com tambores grandes o suficiente para desenrolar longas fibras de linho e um bastidor de quatro fusos. Depois de ouvir sobre esta invenção, John Marshall, um comerciante de linho de Leeds, visitou Darlington e os homens lhe deram uma demonstração da máquina em operação. Impressionado com o que viu, Marshall adquiriu o direito de fazer suas próprias cópias do fiador de linho.

Depois de obter dois sócios, Samuel Fenton, um carpinteiro unitarista, e Ralph Dearlove, um comerciante de linho, Marshall alugou Scotland Mill perto de Leeds. No início de 1788, Marshall, Fenton and Company, começou a tecer fios de linho. No início, as máquinas não funcionaram bem. Freqüentemente ocorriam rupturas e o fio ficava irregular e peludo.

Embora Marshall tivesse pouca experiência técnica, ele passou os dois anos seguintes tentando melhorar seu desempenho. Ele fez pouco progresso até que recrutou um engenheiro talentoso, Matthew Murray, para ajudá-lo. Murray, que mais tarde se envolveria no desenvolvimento da locomotiva, assumiu o comando e, em junho de 1790, criou uma máquina eficiente que produzia fio de boa qualidade.

Minha atenção foi acidentalmente voltada para a fiação de linho por máquinas, algo muito desejado pelos fabricantes de linho. Os imensos lucros obtidos com a fiação do algodão atraíram a atenção geral para os aprimoramentos mecânicos e pode-se esperar que a fiação do linho, se possível, seja igualmente vantajosa. Seria um negócio novo, onde haveria poucos concorrentes, e muito procurado para a fabricação de linho neste país.

Achei a máquina (de fiação de linho) muito sujeita a estar fora de serviço, o que era em parte devido à maldade do seu acabamento. Em geral, produzia apenas cerca de 3 peças por semana. Eu coloquei Matt Murray para trabalhar em um novo tear.

O obstáculo parecia grande o suficiente para o comprimento da fibra, mas os rolos não tinham fio suficiente para arrancá-lo dos dentes do obstáculo e freqüentemente girava com o obstáculo. Matthew propôs mover o rolo canelado da maneira usual e cortar uma parte dele para que o fio do fuso da mecha pudesse passar pelo rolo e agarrar as pontas das fibras que estavam puxando, então o rolo as puxaria para fora agarrar as pontas que foram entrelaçadas, que corresponderiam à mesma finalidade de entrelaçar e puxar ao mesmo tempo.

Murray colocou o rolo de apoio em uma linha certa entre os rolos de alimentação e de tração. Ele (o fígado) saiu muito bem do rolo de tração, e puxar e torcer à mão produziu uma mecha perfeita, portanto parecia certo que o princípio disso responderia - e a falha do rolo de tração parecia ser apenas seu avanço sobre a parte entrelaçada e engolindo o fio.


Máquinas de fiação de linho - história

Como observado anteriormente, o tecido caseiro foi feito nas casas das pessoas em Seotland durante séculos. Com o passar do tempo, moinhos Waulk foram estabelecidos com o propósito de encher o pano, sendo o processo muito melhor batendo mecanicamente o pano úmido e ensaboado do que pisoteando-o pelos pés. Outra etapa do processo de fabricação da lã é marcada pela substituição, no início do século XIX, por cartas feitas à mão ou máquinas movidas a energia hidráulica. Para atender à crescente demanda por fio, a mula manual foi concebida, o tear mecânico gradualmente substituiu o tear manual, e essa revolução na indústria de tecelagem reagiu à indústria de fiação e levou à evolução da mula auto-atuante. É sobre essas e outras melhorias de maquinário que se baseia o desenvolvimento da indústria têxtil e, embora a Escócia não possa reivindicar sua invenção, seus fabricantes as aplicaram com resultados notáveis, e alguns deles, como o Sr. Melrose de Hawick, que inventou a emenda máquina, e o Sr. Roberts, que iniciou a primeira máquina de alimentação ou condensador de sucesso na Escócia, têm uma parte do crédito deles.

O famoso tecido de tweed deriva seu nome da leitura inadvertida de tweed para & quottweel & quot pelo balconista de um comerciante de Londres em uma fatura de mercadorias, expedida por um fabricante de Hawick em 1826. Por este feliz erro, o nome da região, que há muito tempo sido o centro da indústria, passou para o tecido fabricado nas cidades do Tweed e seus afluentes. O fato de a manufatura de lã ter se firmado nesta região deve-se em grande parte ao fato de que ela cria um grande número de ovelhas e, portanto, fornece uma oferta de lã, que nos primeiros dias da indústria era bastante adequada à demanda, embora há muito tenha deixado de ser assim. Jedburgh reivindica a distinção de ser a primeira cidade a produzir este tecido pelo simples expediente de torcer juntos dois ou mais fios de lã de cores diferentes. Mas Galashiels logo assumiu o lugar de liderança na indústria, com Hawick como um bom segundo. De Galashiels, o Sr. Henry Ballantyne o transplantou para Walkerburn, onde havia um suprimento abundante de energia hídrica e terras baratas. Outro motivo para essa extensão foi o fato de que os tecelões de Galashiels eram um grupo de homens independentes, trabalhando apenas de terça ou quarta a sábado e bebendo ou pescando na segunda e às vezes até na terça. Os filhos de Henry Ballantyne migraram para Innerleithen e mais tarde para Peebles, e agora quase toda a indústria no vale de Tweed é controlada por seus netos. Sua ascensão em Selkirk foi em grande parte devido à chegada de pessoas de Galashiels durante os anos & quot 90. & quot.

O suprimento de lã vem principalmente das colônias britânicas e da América do Sul. É preparado para a carda por máquinas inventadas e aperfeiçoadas para esse fim, por meio do qual é esfregado, seco, tratado e oleado. Depois de cardar, é centrifugado em fio, tingido, tecido, cheio, esticado, cortado e prensado no artigo acabado. Esse processo intrincado é realizado por aparelhos que há muito substituíram os métodos primitivos da época da roda de fiar e do tear manual.

No processo de fabricação, o tweed mantém a resistência natural do material intacta e não sacrifica essa qualidade à finura do tecido ou à perfeição do acabamento, como no caso dos tecidos ingleses ou continentais. O melhor testemunho de sua excelência é o fato de que os fabricantes escoceses encontraram muitos imitadores na Inglaterra e no continente e tiveram que enfrentar a competição de & quotScotch tweeds ingleses. & Quot Nas melhores qualidades, eles, no entanto, assumem a liderança, e esta imitação foi apresentada pelos jurados da Exposição de 1862 como uma prova da supremacia deste departamento da indústria escocesa. “Aos fabricantes de uísque pertence o crédito de terem descoberto o que o público gosta e de terem liderado por um período considerável o gosto do público. Suas produções foram tão amplamente imitadas no continente que muitas das calças elegantes mais elegantes da França e de outros países são facilmente rastreáveis ​​em design e cores até sua origem escocesa. & Quot

A fabricação de tweed data do primeiro quartel do século XIX, quando os antigos Galashiels & quottweds & quot (cinzas, azuis e monótonos) deram lugar antes da demanda por um tecido mais variado. Sir Walter Scott, quando xerife de Selkirkshire, fizera algo para fomentar essa demanda vestindo um par de calças feitas de xadrez xadrez escocês, e o colapso comercial de 1829 induziu os fabricantes a tentarem uma nova saída na indústria de lã. Neste ano, havia apenas quinze conjuntos de máquinas de cardar em operação. Vinte anos depois, em 1851, o número havia aumentado para 225, enquanto o número de fábricas era 72, operando 329 teares elétricos e produzindo bens em um valor estimado de 900.000. Em 1869, havia 85 fábricas com 340 conjuntos de máquinas de cardar, 2.720 teares elétricos, dando emprego a 13.600 pessoas, enquanto o valor do tecido produzido subiu para mais de dois milhões.

A indústria tinha então e ainda tem seu centro nas cidades fronteiriças & # 8212Galashiels, Hawick, Jedburgh, Earlston, Innerleithen, Selkirk, Peebles, Langholm & # 8212, mas se estendeu a outros lugares, como Dumfries, Bannockburn, Pitlochry, Aberfeldy, Aberdeen, Inverness, Elgin, Keith. A Aberdeen pertence a distinção de possuir a maior fábrica de tweed da Escócia & # 8212, a dos Srs. Crombie em Woodside, que dá emprego a mais de 1.500 trabalhadores no comércio de revestimento de classe mais alta. Em vários lugares onde as fábricas foram estabelecidas & # 8212Stirling, Cambusbarren, Menstrie, Kinross & # 8212, a indústria morreu. Os tweeds das Terras Altas gozam de uma reputação bem merecida e a indústria ainda dá emprego ao trabalhador doméstico nas Terras Altas e nas Ilhas, sendo os tweeds da Harris a roupa favorita do desportista. Galashiels manteve a posição de liderança na indústria. Em 1861 sua população era de cerca de 6.000, em 1896 o total havia crescido para 19.000. Em 1900, entretanto, caiu para 13.500, para aumentar novamente em 1911 para 15.000. A indústria tem, portanto, suas vicissitudes de acordo com a lei da oferta e da demanda, embora tenha sido, no geral, progressiva. A mesma flutuação é observada no caso de Hawick, que por volta de 1890 quase rivalizava com seu vizinho em produção. Entre 1895 e 1910, no entanto, metade de suas fábricas de tecelagem foi fechada e mais da metade de sua força de fiação desapareceu. Mas, ao contrário de Galashiels, não é uma "cidade comercial" e desenvolveu valiosas indústrias de tricô e tinturaria. O total de máquinas de cardar e teares mecânicos empregados nas cidades fronteiriças era de cerca de 300 e 3.000, respectivamente, em qualquer ano movimentado antes da guerra, com uma produção avaliada em 3.000.000.

Além de tweed, a indústria de lã escocesa abrange a fabricação de uma grande variedade de produtos de lã & # 8212 fios, flanelas, cobertores, meias, xales, tartans, wincey, tapetes, gorros, etc. Além das cidades mencionadas em conexão com a fabricação de tweed, as fábricas de fiação ou tecelagem para a produção destes artigos, ou alguns deles, foram estabelecidas em Alloa, Tillicoultry, Alva, Edimburgo, Dalkeith, Bonnyrig, Roslin, Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock, Ayr, e vários outros locais, onde a indústria tem permaneceu em uma escala muito limitada ou desapareceu. Hawick adquiriu a liderança na indústria de meias, e a roupa íntima Hawick tem reputação mundial. De 400 a 500 molduras de patentes de algodão, empregando 3.500 trabalhadores, e cada um produzindo seis peças de roupa ao mesmo tempo, da melhor qualidade e textura em sua maior parte, estavam em funcionamento em 1915. Na fabricação de tapetes, o chumbo ainda é assumido pela Kilmarnock, com Glasgow , Paisley, Ayr, Bannock-burn e Aberdeen como concorrentes importantes. Em Edimburgo, por outro lado, a indústria quase se extinguiu, embora a tapeçaria patenteada tenha sido inventada pelo Sr. Richard Whytock, que no início do século XIX ocupava uma posição de liderança no comércio. Mais ou menos na mesma época, o Sr. Newton de Kilmarnock inventou o tapete escocês de três camadas e também aprimorou o maquinário para sua fabricação. Outro avanço foi feito pelo Sr. Templeton de Glasgow com a patente Axminster, e a ele pertence o mérito adicional de ser um pioneiro da manufatura artística. Ele empregou os melhores designers e os trabalhadores mais capazes disponíveis, e perseverou em face do preconceito antiquado até que o sucesso, tanto artístico quanto comercial, foi alcançado. Um de seus triunfos foi a conquista de uma das duas medalhas de ouro atribuídas na Exposição de Paris de 1808 aos fabricantes britânicos de tapetes. Bruxelas e Wilton também foram introduzidos, e em pouco tempo veio a máquina Jacquard. A este desenvolvimento a Diretoria de Manufaturas prestou um grande serviço, fomentando o espírito inventivo por meio de prêmios.

Kilmarnock e sua vizinhança também são o centro da indústria de chapéus e meias são amplamente produzidas. Paisley já foi famosa por seus xales, em cuja confecção seus tecelões de teares manuais encontraram pelo menos um remédio temporário para os longos anos de depressão que sobrevieram às guerras napoleônicas, que forçaram muitos deles a emigrar. Esses produtos eram notáveis ​​por seu design artístico e acabamento. "Como artesãos, o tecelão de Paisley e seu assistente 4 desenham o menino" desses primeiros dias nunca foram igualados em habilidade têxtil. "Mas sua popularidade passou com a mudança da moda e a intervenção da Rainha Vitória, que usou sua influência em 1842 em um tentativa bem intencionada de reanimá-lo, foi apenas temporariamente bem-sucedida. A tecelagem de tear manual estava condenada à luta contra o tear mecânico e o sistema fabril, embora o tecelão demorasse muito no distrito, e mesmo assim ele está empregado na confecção de certos tecidos.

Em 1878, o número total de fábricas de lã na Escócia era de 240, empregando 22.500 trabalhadores de ambos os sexos. Em 1890, havia 85 fiações e 48 fábricas de tecelagem, 118 nas quais a fiação e a tecelagem eram realizadas e 31 descritas como não enumeradas, com um total de 31.000 funcionários. Além disso, havia 20 fábricas de fiação e tecelagem dedicadas ao comércio de lã penteada e empregando cerca de 6.000 operários.

A indústria foi grandemente beneficiada pelo estabelecimento do South of Scotland Central Technical College em Galashiels que, sob a direção do Dr. Oliver, serve ao propósito de uma Woolen School para a Escócia. É a única instituição na Grã-Bretanha devotada exclusivamente à instrução nos princípios e práticas de lã extravagante e manufatura de tecidos penteados, testes têxteis, análise de fibras, tingimento, cor, mecânica, física, desenho mecânico e em arte, química e eletricidade conforme aplicado à indústria. Em anexo está a acomodação para 00 teares manuais para uso dos alunos em tecelagem e desenho experimental, 6 teares mecânicos, urdidura, urdidura e enrolamento de trama, um conjunto de cartões de lã com as diferentes alimentações e condensadores, mula, estrutura de torção, tricô máquinas e aparelhos menores. Os fundos para o esquema foram levantados por assinatura pública complementada por uma doação de 10.000 do Departamento de Educação da Escócia.

No primeiro quarto do século XIX, a indústria do linho tinha seu centro nos condados de Fife e Forfar. Em 18227 ^ 116 no ano passado, em que a lei do selo de linho estava em vigor, Forfarshire produziu totalmente 22 milhões de jardas, Fifeshire quase 8 milhões de jardas de um total de 36 ^ milhões para toda a Escócia. Dois outros condados, Aberdeen e Perth, produziram 4 milhões do restante. O Conselho de Manufaturas encorajou a indústria, oferecendo prêmios por seu aprimoramento e até 1832, concedendo recompensas aos fabricantes. Em 1807, por exemplo, prêmios foram concedidos para as melhores e segundas melhores amostras de linho liso, fraldas, camisas, etc., três delas indo para Dunfermline e duas para Edimburgo. Forfarshire deveu sua preeminência precoce na indústria também ao fato de que seu solo era especialmente adequado para a produção de linho, e seus fiandeiros e tecelões obtinham assim um suprimento imediato da matéria-prima que agora é importada de países estrangeiros. Além de Dundee, há fábricas em todas as cidades consideráveis ​​do condado, incluindo Forfar, Brechin, Montrose, Arbroath, Kirriemuir. Em 1822 já existiam em Dundee e arredores 49 fiações de linho movidas a vapor. Em meados do século, o número havia crescido para quase 40 somente em Dundee. A primeira fábrica de teares mecânicos foi erguida pelos Srs. Baxter em 1836 e outras surgiram em breve. O progresso da indústria durante a primeira metade do século pode ser medido pelo fato de que a quantidade de linho, cânhamo e estopa importada para Dundee aumentou de 2.187 toneladas em 1815 para 47.113 toneladas em 1853. de linho, em primeiro lugar, e em 1892 o linho e o cânhamo importados caíram para cerca de 21.000 toneladas. Em 1911, o total, incluindo reboque, era ligeiramente inferior a 20.000. Dundee, além disso, produz uma grande quantidade de máquinas têxteis avaliadas em cerca de 300.000 por ano e dando emprego a entre 3.000 e 4.000 artesãos. As indústrias cognatas de branqueamento, tingimento e calandragem também são extensas.

Arbroath deveu o surgimento de sua indústria de linho à descoberta acidental por um de seus tecelões do tecido de linho de Osnaburg em 1738. A indústria prosperou muito e antes do final do século seus tecelões produziram mais de um milhão de jardas de linho, além de panos de vela de valor quase igual. A introdução da máquina de fiação no início do século XIX aumentou muito a produção e, em 1832, havia 16 fiações na cidade e nos arredores. Dez anos depois, vários outros foram adicionados e o linho fiado anualmente totalizou 7.000 toneladas. Em 1875, as fiações e tecelagens eram 34, com 40.000 fusos e 1.100 teares mecânicos, com uma produção semanal de quase 45.000 jardas de linho. Em 1907, o valor do linho importado era de quase 150.000.

A maquinaria de fiação de linho movida a vapor foi introduzida pela primeira vez na fábrica da Ford em Montrose em 1805, com George Stephenson, de subsequente fama de locomotiva, como engenheiro, e a fiação de linho permaneceu sua principal indústria, o valor do linho importado em 1906 foi de 207.000. De Montrose, Forfar obtém grande parte dos fios para suas fábricas de tecelagem. Brechin tem duas fiações, bem como cinco fábricas de tecelagem para a fabricação de Osnaburgs, linhos marrons e lonas de vela. No início do século, a indústria era tão desenvolvida em Kirriemuir que perdia apenas para Dundee em produção, e sua produção ainda é extensa. A tecelagem manual demorou muito aqui, e um desses tecelões, David Sands, adquiriu notoriedade na segunda metade do século XVIII como o inventor de um modo de tecer tecido duplo para uso de staymakers e para camisas sem costura. As vizinhas Blairgowrie e Alyth, embora em Perthshire, e Coupar-Angus, também possuem uma considerável indústria de linho.

Em Fife, a indústria é desenvolvida em Dunfermline, Kirkcaldy, Dysart, Leslie, Leven, Auchtermuchty, Kingskettle, Ladybank, Stratlimiglo, Falkland, Cupar, Tayport, Newburgh e vários outros lugares. O damasco de Dunfermline é inigualável em design e acabamento e sua fama artística pode ser atribuída ao Sr. Joseph Paton, pai do célebre pintor. Sua fabricação data do início do século XVIII, quando foi introduzida por James Blake, que aprendeu o segredo em uma oficina em Drumsheugh, perto de Edimburgo, e deu início ao primeiro tear de damasco em sua cidade natal. Melhorias no tear de damasco foram subsequentemente feitas por John Wilson e David Bonnar, e um grande impulso foi dado à indústria com a introdução da máquina Jacquard em 1825. & quotOs belos espécimes de damasco feitos em Dunfermline, Belfast e outros lugares, & quot diz o Sr. Warden em sua História do Comércio de Linho & quot; são agora produzidos principalmente pela máquina Jacquard, inventada por Joseph Marie Jacquard e exibida pela primeira vez na Exposição Nacional de. Indústria, realizada em Paris em 1801. Esta máquina muito perfeita, mas simples, foi inicialmente recebida com muitos maus sentimentos pelos artesãos da França, muitas máquinas tendo sido destruídas e a vida do inventor ameaçada. Seus méritos eram muito valiosos e aparentes para serem totalmente refreados, mesmo por uma oposição tão furiosa e frenética, e quando surgiu, revolucionou o comércio. Anteriormente, as figuras, que não podiam ser produzidas por combinações de twilling e tintura, eram formadas com a ajuda do desenhista, e tal, ou outros aparelhos, ou pelos modos enfadonhos e tediosos conhecidos no trabalho de tapeçaria como alta e alta urdidura, mas em nenhum dos dois modos foram tão perfeitamente apresentados como por esta bela máquina. . . . Esta máquina é usada na fabricação de seda, algodão, lã e linho e é igualmente adequada para todos. Padrões de desenho infinito e de beleza maravilhosa podem ser produzidos por ele pela simples mudança das cartas passadas sobre a superfície da caixa perfurada, o padrão particular dependendo totalmente deles. De tempos em tempos, têm sido feitas melhorias neste motor, e agora ele foi feito tão surpreendentemente perfeito para os vários tecidos para os quais foi adaptado que será muito difícil substituí-lo por qualquer coisa mais adequada. ” são produzidos com a maior nitidez de contorno e delicadeza de detalhes.

Surgiu uma demanda crescente pelo produto Dunfermline. Guilherme IV foi o primeiro de muitos clientes reais, e a rainha Vitória seguiu seu exemplo. Para a famosa "Toalha de Mesa do Herói Crimeano", desenhada pelo Sr. Balfour e representando os chefes do lado aliado associado a esta guerra, a Rainha deu uma ordem, enquanto outra veio do Imperador Napoleão III. As ramificações do comércio Dunfermline se estendem por todo o mundo, sendo a América o comprador mais extenso. No início do século XIX, havia mais de 1.000 teares manuais em funcionamento. Em 1836, o número subiu para cerca de 3.500, dando emprego a 5.000 pessoas. O advento do tear mecânico aumentou muito a produção e cerca de trinta anos depois, havia quatro fábricas de tear mecânico. Em 1890, o número subiu para 10, empregando cerca de 6.000 pessoas, uma grande proporção das quais eram mulheres. & quotO negócio feito em linho na Escócia & quot, comenta o Sr. Steele na Scottish Bankers Magazine, abril de 1912 & quot pode ser estimado em cerca de 8.000.000 por ano e Dunfermline sozinho produz mais de um terço deste montante. & quot.

Kirkcaldy foi a primeira cidade na Escócia a introduzir o tear mecânico em 1821 e, na cidade e no distrito, mais de 3.000 pessoas estão agora empregadas na indústria. É, no entanto, mais famosa como a sede da indústria aliada de piso e linóleo, que foi iniciada na Escócia pelo Sr. Michael Nairn em 1847 e atingiu dimensões tão grandes que tornou o & quotlang toon & quot rival de Dunfermline em tamanho e afluência. O experimento do Sr. Nairn na confecção de pano de chão parecia tão pouco promissor no início que foi referido por seus vizinhos como "Loucura de Nairn." de revestimento de piso. Várias outras empresas assumiram a manufatura e, em 1877, os Srs. Nairn acrescentaram uma fábrica de linóleo aos seus trabalhos de piso, após o vencimento da patente do Sr. Walton, o inventor do processo e fundador da Linoleum Manufacturing Company em Staines, Middlesex . Outras firmas Kirkcaldy seguiram seu exemplo e, no final do século, foram fundidas sob o nome de Barry, Ostlere & amp Shepherd. Outra, a Fife Linoleum Company, também envolvida no setor. Além desses três em Kirkcaldy, três outros foram iniciados em Tayport, Newburgh e nas vizinhanças de Dundee. Os funcionários nas três fábricas de Kirkcaldy são entre 3.500 e 4.000.

Além de Forfar e Fife, na maioria dos distritos, com exceção de Aberdeen e Perthshire, nos quais a indústria de linho era anteriormente desenvolvida em maior ou menor extensão, ela se extinguiu ou encolheu em pequenas dimensões & # 8212 em Edimburgo, por exemplo, para não falar de cidades como Inverness, Kinross, Inverary. Destino semelhante se abateu sobre ela no oeste & # 8212 em Lanarkshire, Renfrew e Ayr & # 8212, onde a fabricação de tecidos de linho foi substituída pela manufatura de algodão. Embora tenha aumentado continuamente nesses condados até meados da segunda metade do século XVIII, mostrou um declínio igualmente constante nas últimas décadas e no início do século XIX, até que em 1822 cada um recebeu o crédito de apenas 25.000 e 20.000 jardas. Em 1875, apenas 11 das 159 fábricas de linho na Escócia estavam situadas no oeste. Em 1890, o número caiu para 6, embora Paisley fosse eminente na fabricação de fios de linho. No último ano, o total para a Escócia foi de 136, no qual cerca de 35.000 pessoas estavam empregadas, a grande maioria das quais eram mulheres.

O processo de manufatura do linho começa com o ruído, para o qual as máquinas foram inventadas e pelas quais as fibras do linho são subdivididas em filamentos de uma finura adequada à qualidade do tecido a ser feito. Em seguida, é enviado através da máquina de vestir várias vezes até que seja formado em uma faixa uniforme de uma polegada de largura e um quarto de polegada de espessura. É posteriormente estirado na maçaroqueira, ligeiramente torcido e enrolado em grandes bobinas que são colocadas na máquina de fiar e estiradas ao grau necessário de finura e firmemente torcido. A fiação é feita a úmido ou a seco de acordo com a finalidade a que se destina o fio. As bobinas inteiras das fiações passam para as mãos dos enroladores, que fazem o fio nos comprimentos necessários. O fio é geralmente branqueado antes de ser urdido. Após a urdidura, é revestido com pasta, passado pelos ursos e pela & quotreed & quot, e colocado no tear de tecelagem. Dos teares, as teias são passadas pelas máquinas de fricção, cortadas, calandradas e prensadas por máquinas adaptadas para o efeito.

O pano de chão é feito de estopa de linho e fios em grandes teares, e a tela é submetida a um complexo processo de dimensionamento, pintura, secagem e impressão. O maquinário para aplicar a tinta e imprimir o padrão acabou substituindo o trabalho manual com resultados muito satisfatórios. No fabrico de linóleo, o processo de Walton é aplicado na "secagem" do óleo de linhaça, i.e. na redução deste a um estado sólido elástico. Em seguida, passa pelo processo de “cimentação”, pelo qual o óleo é misturado a proporções de goma kauri e resina e a preparação é cozida e, após ser resfriada, cortada em placas. A cortiça a ser utilizada com este cimento é moída em pó que varia em finura de acordo com o tecido a ser feito. As proporções necessárias de cimento, pó e corante são então misturadas por máquinas e a mistura passa entre os rolos da calandra, onde é fixada a uma base de lona de juta. O avesso do pano é então revestido pela máquina de suporte com uma mistura impermeável, - e o linóleo assim produzido é temperado na sala de secagem onde é pendurado por duas a quatro semanas de acordo com a espessura do tecido. O artigo acabado é conhecido como linóleo simples. No caso do linóleo estampado, o padrão é aplicado quando o pano liso está quase meio temperado. O linóleo incrustado difere do estampado (em que o padrão é apenas impresso na superfície e, portanto, sujeito a desgaste) por ter o padrão transportado através do tecido. A máquina mais útil para fazer isso é a máquina investida pelo Sr. Walton para esse propósito.

Dundee é o centro da fabricação de juta aliada. Teve a sua origem num daqueles períodos de depressão a que tem estado sujeita a indústria do linho. A depressão foi especialmente aguda na década entre 1830 e 1840, e foi nesses anos que os fabricantes de Dundee recorreram de forma provisória à fiação e tecelagem da juta. Em 1822, o Sr. Neish, um comerciante da cidade, que recebera uma pequena remessa da fibra de Londres, tentara sem sucesso fazer com que as fiandeiras locais experimentassem. Dez anos depois, ele recebeu uma segunda remessa e, nessa ocasião, conseguiu persuadir uma empresa de fabricantes a fazer a experiência. A dificuldade inicial era a inadequação do maquinário então em uso para sua fabricação. Outra consistia na natureza seca e dura da fibra. O primeiro foi superado pela introdução de maquinaria melhorada, o último pelo expediente de umedecer a fibra com óleo. Isso é feito na & quot sala de dosagem & quot, onde a matéria-prima é borrifada com óleo e água. As fibras são desmembradas por maquinários apropriados e, a seguir, passam por processos de fiação e tecelagem semelhantes aos aplicáveis ​​no caso do linho. A juta é um dos tecidos mais facilmente tingidos, mas não retém bem a cor naturalmente. Um processo complexo é, portanto, necessário para tornar o corante duradouro, e a melhor classe de produtos de juta é tratada de modo que as cores sejam brilhantes e duráveis.

Os produtos da indústria consistem em lonas, sacos, carpetes, tapetes e muitos outros tecidos. Para os produtos mais finos, usa-se uma combinação de linho e juta, ou algodão e juta, ou fibra de cacau e juta. O comparativo barato da matéria-prima permitiu aos fabricantes vendê-la a um preço moderado e isso, em conjunto com a excelência de mão de obra, fez de Dundee o centro de um comércio mundial, para o qual a Guerra da Crimeia e a Guerra Americana, por afetando adversamente o fornecimento de linho da Rússia e algodão em bruto dos Estados do Sul, deu um grande impulso. Apesar dos períodos recorrentes de depressão e da crescente competição da Índia, de onde a maior parte da matéria-prima é importada, Dundee manteve sua supremacia e aumentou constantemente sua produção. Ela mereceu justamente o título de "Juteópolis" por sua manufatura de linho, que em várias fábricas é combinada com ela, é modesta em comparação com a indústria de alimentos básicos. Também é praticado em uma extensão considerável em algumas das outras cidades de Forfarshire e em Perth, Aberdeen, Tayport e Springfield, perto de Cupar. Em 1838, o número de toneladas importadas era de 1.136; em 1858, cresceu para 30.000 em 1868 para mais de 58.000 em 1890 para 206.759. Em 1911, o número era de 201.000. Dundee e o distrito têm pouco a temer da competição do oeste da Escócia, embora tenham sido feitas tentativas em Glasgow e em outros lugares para garantir sua participação na indústria. Esses, no entanto, foram falhas finais ou permaneceram em uma escala muito limitada. Em 1890, o número de fábricas na Escócia era de 103, e dessas, Glasgow tinha apenas 2. O número de pessoas empregadas era superior a 40.000. Vinte anos depois, o número havia aumentado para cerca de 68.000, sendo a grande proporção, como no caso da manufatura de linho, mulheres.

Nos primeiros anos do século XIX, a indústria do algodão havia se firmado no oeste da Escócia, e o oeste continuava sendo seu centro. Um escritor recente sobre a geografia de Renfrewshire atribui o fato às condições climáticas. "Uma atmosfera úmida", diz o Sr. Mort, "é necessária para a manufatura de produtos de algodão de alta qualidade, caso contrário, o material se torna quebradiço e difícil de trabalhar. Agora, a precipitação média em muitas partes da costa oeste é o dobro da costa leste. Thus the west coast possesses the valuable attributes (at least for the cotton worker) of a high rainfall and a humid atmosphere, and therefore the industry, by a process of the survival of the fittest, has come to be localised in the west." The humid climate of Manchester accounts, in part at least, for its pre-eminence in the cotton industry. Other factors contributed, such as the facility with which workers could be obtained. Improvements in the machinery, which Englishmen had invented in the second half of the eighteenth century, were made by Scottish manufacturers. In 1797 Mr Kelly of the New Lanark Mills produced a self-acting mule, and Mr Buchanan of the Catrine Mills also busied himself with the problem about the

same time and, in co-operation with his nephew, Mr Deanston, completed his invention in 1826. It was afterwards improved by Mr Robertson, a foreman in the Crofthead Mill in Renfrewshire, in conjunction with Mr Smith, who also improved the carding machine. With the self-acting spinning mule came the power loom which immensely increased the output of the cotton factories. The fabrics included plain calico, muslins, curtains, ginghams, pullicates but the making of muslin became the speciality of the industry. The pioneer of this speciality was Mr James Monteith, who about 1780 warped the first muslin web attempted in Scotland, and successfully imitated the fabrics of Dacca and other Indian industrial centres.

In 1834 the number of cotton mills in Scotland had swelle to 134, compared with 19 in 1787. Aberdeen had some large factories, but the vast majority were located in Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire󈠚 in the former and 41 in the latter. In 1850 1 the number in these counties was 145. Ten years later the figures were about the same. In 1890 there was a drop to 114, the total for Scotland being 124, employing about 36,000 persons, of whom the large majority were women. Since then the decline has gone on increasing. This shrinkage has been due to the competition of Lancashire and Yorkshire with their enormous output, their more economical production, and their adoption of more up-to-date machinery. In this respect Scottish enterprise has lagged behind that of England, and the vast industrial development of the west in other directions has provided other avenues for capital and labour. That the Scottish manufacturers might have forestalled this regrettable decline is proved by the fact that the Glasgow Cotton Spinning Company has developed a large trade, and has shown itself capable of meeting its Lancashire rivals. In one branch, however—that of cotton thread spinning—Paisley has maintained the leading position, and practically controls the thread export trade. The development of this trade is largely due to Mr Patrick Clark, the founder of the firm of Clark & Co., and to Mr James Coats, the founder of that of J. & P. Coats. Both firms have established works in America and other countries. In 1890 the Messrs Coats became a public company, with control of the business of Messrs

Clark, with an authorised capital of 5f million^ which was subsequently increased to 10 millions, whose marketable value in 1913 was estimated at close on 56 millions. The mills at Paisley cover about 100 acres, and give employment to over 10,000 persons. " Half a million spindles are driven by engines of 30,000 h.p., which require the daily consumption of something like 400 tons of coal, and 15,000 tons of wood are used annually in the manufacture of about 250 millions of spools. The demand for spool wood at one time practically threatened the deforestation of various parts of Scotland, but the supply is now chiefly obtained from Northern Europe and North America. . . . The machines used in the making of the thread are of the latest type, and are wonderful in their accuracy. The doubling machine is so adjusted that it ceases to operate when one of the-ends breaks or is missing, whilst the testing and measuring of the thread is carried out with the greatest exactness. The revolutions of the spindles require also to be finely judged, as a proper speed when the bobbin is empty becomes much too great when it is almost full, and it is therefore necessary to confine the speed of the spindles to a velocity which will not be excessive when the winding is almost complete. Thirty years ago the spindles made 3000 revolutions per minute, but they now make about 10,000, while the space occupied is less."

Not far off, at Kilbowie, on the north side of the Clyde, is the greatest sewing machine factory in the world, that of the Singer Manufacturing Company. The works, removed here from Bridgeton, Glasgow, in 1884, cover 46 acres, employ 6,000 persons, and turn out 13,000 machines per week, of which over 700 classes and varieties are catalogued. The sales in Great Britain and Ireland amount to about 200,000 a year. The sewing machine, it has been aptly said, has been the making of the thread industry. Renfrewshire has also maintained a considerable industry in the making of the lighter silk fabrics, such as gauzes, gossamers, chiffons, handkerchiefs, and ties, though the output is a stationary one. Mention should also be made of the Glasgow Weaving College, which dates from 1877, and provides a technical training in textile manufacture for workmen and designers.


West Belfast can be defined as the area between the Bog Meadows and the Shankill Road, reaching the centre of the city at Castle Place. It is characterised by rising ground originally drained by a few small streams. Housing developments arrived here in the late nineteenth century.

Spinning Mills
Thomas Mulholland built a large cotton spinning mill on Winetavern Street in 1816. By 1850, the Herdman family also had a linen spinning mill, which drew water from a dam at Marquess Street. They were unable to expand it economically in the 1850s and decided to relocate their business to Sion Mills, where there was a more reliable source of water and room to expand.

Early weaving sheds were built around Durham Street and Albert Street. Other mills, such as Conway and Clonard Mills on the Falls Road, were built further out. At Oldpark, a linen mill was built around 1800 but it was later converted to cotton printing, and then back to linen as trade fluctuated.

Weaving was undertaken by the Blackstaff Flax Spinning and Weaving Company and the Falls Flax Spinning Company.

Foundries
Among the earliest foundries in Belfast was the MacAdam Brothers’ Soho Foundries, which was located at Townsend Street from around 1825. The MacAdams’s helped design and build wet spinning machinery for the York Street Flax Company when it was rebuilt after a fire in 1828.

As well as textile machinery, they made steam engines and inward flow water turbines designed by James Thompson, professor of engineering at Queen’s College. Although the firm exported some steam engines to Egypt, they were unable to break into any export market permanently, and the firm closed on the death of its founders.

The Falls Foundry was one of the main foundries in Belfast. It was set up in 1845 by a Scot, James Combe, to supply equipment for the railways, which were expanding at the time. By the 1850s the firm had moved into the textile machinery business and was making carding machinery for long staple flax fibres.

The name of the firm was later changed to Combe, Barbour and Combe, and in 1900 became a part of Fairbairn Lawson Combe Barbour Ltd. For a period from about 1880 to the end of the first world war, the Falls foundry also made large steam engines as part of their service to mill owners. Although they occasionally tried to diversify by making specialist machinery for other trades, the firm was best known as a major manufacturer of spinning and twisting frames until 1955, when the parent company ceased business in Belfast.

The Clonard Foundry was opened by George Horner in 1859. Having served his apprenticeship in Leeds with Samuel Lawson and Sons, he worked for James Combe and Company, before starting his own business. Specialising in hackling machines for flax and hemp, Horner developed the ‘Duplex’ machine that took up less room than two single machines, yet hackled both ends of a bundle. James Mackie and Sons took over the firm in 1905.

James Scrimgeour had a business in Albert Street which made spinning frames. When he got into financial difficulties in 1858, the firm was taken over by his manager, James Mackie. He steadily built up the business manufacturing flax cutters, bundling presses, and twisting frames. Wet spinning frames were added later, and by the 1890s, a substantial export business had been created which led to the move to much larger premises at the Springfield Road.

During both world wars, Mackies made large quantities of armaments ranging from shell cases to aircraft wings. Between the wars the firm developed jute preparing and spinning machinery, and became the leading manufacturer of sisal and hard-fibre spinning machinery. After the second world war, they also added machinery for spinning synthetic fibres to their range, and extra sites further up the Springfield Road were put into use.

The Reynolds brothers set up business at McClenaghan’s Court, off Mill Street, around 1850, and turned from general engineering to the manufacture of spinning machinery around 1865. They moved to Grosvenor Street in two adjacent but distinct premises: James Reynolds in the Linfield Foundry and Peter Reynolds in the Northern Foundry. The latter went out of business around 1875, but James Reynolds and Company continued until 1929. Although they specialised in equipment for thread twine and ropes, they also made a comprehensive range of flax preparing and spinning machinery.

JP Hamilton and Company were in business in Percy Street as specialist brass founders, and remained as one of the last in the trade which had been carried out by many small firms over the years.

Distilleries
Dunvilles Distillery was built on the Grosvenor Road in the 1850s and became one of the oldest in Belfast as the competition closed and newer firms such as the United Distillers came on to the scene. During the first world war, much of the distilling activity changed from potable spirits to industrial alcohol for armaments production. Dunvilles themselves became bankrupt in the 1930s.

Contemporary Industry in West Belfast
Andrews’ Milling feed mill at Northern Road and Percy Street is one of the last manufacturing businesses in the heart of what is now a commercial area in the city, occupied by offices and a large shopping complex.

The drive for new employment after the second world war created industrial areas in Finaghy and Dunmurry. The major employer in the former is the international Ford company and its subsidiaries. Grundig established a plant in Dunmurry, but the firm to gain most publicity was the ill-fated De Lorean Motor Company. Its premises have been taken over by the French aluminium founders Montupet, and by Shorts, the aircraft manufacturers.

The Ulster Brewery moved from city centre premises to the Glen Road in the 1950s. Maguire and Patterson operated a match works on the Donegall Road up until the 1980s, when the premises were redeveloped as a supermarket.


Hutton Rudby 1834-1849: the Flax-Spinning Mill by the bridge

I last mentioned John Mease as he appeared in Pigot's Directory 1834 where he was listed as a Linen & Damask Manufacturer on Beck Side, Stokesley. He was 32 years old when he and Thomas ended their flax spinning partnership in 1831 and he had evidently decided to carry on with the linen weaving business that had been their earliest venture.

However, he also had his eye on a new opportunity. It was at this time that he first invested in land in Hutton Rudby. He bought the water corn mill and its goit (the artificial watercourse that supplied it) and a couple of closes of land on either side of the road near the bridge on the Hutton side of the river this also included the buildings of the paper mill, disused for the previous few years since production moved to Yarm in about 1829. By the time of the Tithe Map (drawn up after the Tithe Commutation Act 1836) he owned a little over three acres of land by the river.


Flax Spinning Machines - History

FX516 FLAX WET SPINNING MACHINE

FX516 flax wet spinning machine

With high-tech E-cam and E-drafting system.

Headstock use oblique wheels.

Draft roller adopts bearing type, and the other two rows of roller are also made of copper bearing type.

Equipped with three automatic device (1. Auto doffing, adjustable length. 2. Ring plate automatic reset. 3. Automatically stop after doffing, automatic adjustment of the rear end yarn) without crank.

Equipped with auto oil dripping device. Japanese Panasonic PLC to control and display date.

Increase the stainless-steel parts on the basis of the original FX508 standard. (better than FX505)

Foot pedal is replaced with aluminum alloy pattern plate, and the rear baffle plate is made of stainless steel.

Need manual replacements gears.

The rest accessories are the same as the original F508.

FX516 Flax wet spinning machine

Simplified the complex gearbox drive system of spinning frame into five units. The speed reducer motor and the servo motor are driven by frequency converter servo driver to realize synchronous linkage and intelligent control system.

If you have any questions, feedback or comments, please fill out the form below and we will reply you back as soon as possible.


Hungaro-Len

The licences are issued on the 2nd of November 1903 and on the 18th of November 1904 the factory can start production with 2000 spindle and 120 workers.

Establishment and keeping of workplaces fills central part among local authorities’ plans, therefore property is given to spinning mill for free, and the road to mill is constructed also for free.

During the I. World War the production increases up to 500 employees and 5000 spindles. János Fiedler and his family constantly develop mechanical and technological level.

Preparations for upcoming II. World War boosts the industry again. In 1938 already 670 tonns, in 1942 with more than 7000 spindles 895 tonns are produced, employing 1000 workers.

After the II. World War in March 1948 the factory is nationalized followed by numerous reorganizations.

Blessed to workers’ and engineers’ creativity and innovative favourities inspite of unfavorable circumstenses numerous technical-technological modifications are introduced to be able to run the old machines and the new ones coming from the socialist countries on adequate level.

Difficulties of regime changes two survive from 19 BUDA-FLAX plants, the one in Győr, a weaving mill and the other spinning mill in Komárom. After the privatisation both plants go to private ownership. Later the weaving mill in Győr is liquidated, so the spinning mill in Komárom remained Hungary’s only one linen establishment.

  • 1996 Modernisation, installation of Mackie preparing
  • 2001 Modernisation, installing Sachlafhorst 338 winders
  • 2004 Modernisation, installing drying tunnels
  • 2005 Membership at CELC, MAsters of Linen
  • 2006 Initialisation of Oeko-Tex certification
  • 2008 Initialisation of IMO certification
  • 2013 Modernisation, installing Volkmann 2 for 1 twisting technology

Its strategic aim is the flexible production and production management and high level customer-service.

Thanks to a responsible decision the company is able to start in a satisfactory financial situation and the company meets the legal obligations for 100% redundancy payment.

In additional to fulfilment of maximum redundancy payment the company supported the workers in starting their new life with an outplacement programm involving volonteer experts and in close cooperation with the Employment Office.
After the shut-down the production Hungaro-Len Ltd. sells the production equipments and starts the utilization of it’s territory of 8,5 hectares in the city center of Komárom.


Flax is a 100 days plant

In Europe the flax is planted between middle of March and middle of April. In June the flax flowers, the plant reaches about one meter height. The colour of the flax flowers is blue. In July the flax is pulled up, and it stays on the field for “dew retting” wich means the sun, the dew and the rain soften up the the woody part, the fungus start to decompose the pectin that binds the fibres together. In August the straw is gathered.

In Egypt the flax is water retted and the season is different.


Flax Spinning Machines - History

THE MILLS OF BLAIRGOWRIE AND RATTRAY

The waters of the river Ericht flowing out of the Highlands once drove a remarkable series of 14 spinning mills. Originally working with flax, then linen but later mostly changing to spin jute these enterprises brought employment and prosperity to the Blairgowrie and Rattray area through much of the last two hundred years.

The water wheels have stopped turning and the mills have fallen silent but a walk along the leafy riverbank provides a fascinating glimpse of this once vibrant early industrial landscape. Directions for the walk can be downloaded as a pdf file:
Mill Walk


SPINNING MILLS

Flax is amongst the oldest crops in the world. It has been grown since the beginnings of civilisation, primarily for its use in linens, though the seed (linseed) is also a valuable source of oil. Burial chambers in Egypt, dated back to about 3000 B.C., depict flax cultivation and clothing made from flax fibres. The plant grows well in Scotland and linen has been produced locally for many centuries. The processing of flax involves stripping off the seeds and then soaking the plants in water for a couple of weeks to soften the outer layers of the stalk. 'Retting ponds' where this process was carried out are common in the Scottish countryside. The flax was then beaten with wooden knives to separate the unwanted bark from the long inner fibres (scutching) and then combed through a set of iron spikes to split and straighten the fibres (heckling). These processes were originally carried out by hand, as was the subsequent spinning of the fibres into thread and then weaving this into linen cloth.

By the middle of the 18th Century mechanical scutching machines driven by water power were developed and a large number of new Scottish 'Lint Mills' were built in which they were installed. This was followed, in the latter part of the century, by the development of spinning machines. Blairgowrie and Rattray, with their considerable water power, were obvious sites for building spinning mills employing the new technology. The mills of Blairgowrie were built by a series of entrepreneurs eager to take advantage of the business opportunities offered by the mechanisation of the textile industry. The earliest known spinning machinery was installed in a lint mill in Rattray (which later grew into the Erichtside works) in about 1796. This was followed by the construction of a new purpose built mill in Blairgowrie (the Meikle Mill) just above the Bridge of Blair in 1798. Mill construction after this was infrequent until about 1830 by which time a new generation of more sophisticated and reliable spinning machinery had become available. Some seven new mills were then built between 1830 and 1845. As the power from the river was however limited and not really sufficient to drive heavy power looms the Ericht mills concentrated on spinning thread. Machine weaving was carried out in the large Dundee mills which were powered by steam engines.

Not enough flax was grown in Scotland to satisfy the demand from the Scottish spinning mills and most fibre was imported, much of it from Russia where production costs were low. Competition arose, however, when the East India Company started to import a somewhat similar but rather cheaper fibre – jute from India. It was not until 1832 that the problem of spinning this more brittle fibre on conventional spinning machines had been overcome (by softening it first in whale oil). From then on most of the Blairgowrie and Dundee linen mills progressively switched over to spinning the new material. The linen industry in north east Scotland had traditionally produced coarse linen cloth and adapted easily to the production of coarse jute fabrics.

The jute industry began to decline at the start of the 20th Century, mainly due to competition from mills in India where labour costs were much lower. The Ericht mills became progressively uneconomic and started to close. Despite minor booms during the two world wars and experiments such as spinning artificial fibres, the last working mills on the Ericht were forced to shut down in 1979.

The workers

Between the years 1801 and 1881 the combined population of Blairgowrie rose from less than a thousand to over seven thousand. This was directly attributable to to the growth of the spinning industry which, at its peak, employed about two and a half thousand people. Unskilled workers came from many different places including Ireland (escaping the famine), Highland Scotland (victims of the clearances), and from the slums of Glasgow and Dundee. Skilled workers were highly prized many of these had travelled widely between different textile manufacturing centres in Britain and on the continent.

Working conditions were harsh by today's standards, especially in the early 19th Century. The working week consisted of six days from 5.30 am to 7 pm with an hour off for breakfast and another for lunch. The factory floors could be cluttered and hot with dust and oil fumes which led to the spread of respiratory diseases such as bronchitis. The machinery was also very noisy and many workers went deaf.. Quite young children were employed, working similar hours to their parents. Conditions improved slowly over the years but even during the first world war the working week was still five and a half ten-hour days, starting at 6 am. By this time, however, laws had been passed requiring children to spend a certain portion of their week attending school.

Many of the workers lived in houses and hostels belonging to, and sited close to the mills. A few of these still remain.


Where did people wear linen?

Where linen comes from: Flax plants with their blue flowers.

Linen is not as warm as wool, but it is much softer and more comfortable on the skin (after you wear it a while at first it is stiff and scratchy). In the first millennium BC, people in North Africa, Egypt, and Sudan, and West Asia mostly wore linen, while Greeks and West Asians and Germans mostly wore wool. In China, people mostly wore hemp or silk clothing instead, and in India and the Americas, people wore cotton.

Cotton in the Americas Hemp in China History of silk


Mill work and flax growers in Ireland

In the Irish Linen Homelands of Northern Ireland (chiefly around Lisburn, Belfast, Banbridge and Cookstown), the work of transforming the flax plant into yarn and then into beautiful cloth, eventually moved into huge mills.

You'll find the various job titles used in the mills lower down the page.  The job titles are the terms you're likely to see in census returns and other documents.

The Old Linen Hall in Clonakilty, Co Cork.

The Old Linen Hall in Clonakilty, Co Cork

For most factory and mill employees, the working week consisted of eleven and a half or twelve hours (including meal breaks) from Monday to Friday plus a half day of six hours on Saturday.

In terms of holiday, workers could take two days for Christmas, two days at Easter and two more days in July. Holiday breaks were not paid.

These terms of employment applied to most staff over the age of thirteen.

o scutching room was one of the most unhealthy because the air was filled with dry flax plant dust called 'pouce' and workers could not avoid inhaling it. As it settled in the lungs, it caused shortness of breath and many bronchial complaints.

o hackling and carding rooms were the most dangerous because the machines were not properly guarded. Facial and hand injuries, ranging from lacerations to mutilations, were the most common but fatal accidents were also a regular occurrence.

Children were legally permitted to work at the mills from about the age of ten years on a part-time basis. They usually spent alternate days at the mill, typically working as doffers (replacing full yarn bobbins on the spinning frames with empty ones), and in the classroom. When they first started work, many suffered what became known as 'mill fever' before they adjusted to the high temperatures, damp or dusty environments, noise and exhaustion.

Children were legally permitted to work at the mills from about the age of ten years on a part-time basis. They usually spent alternate days at the mill, typically working as doffers (replacing full yarn bobbins on the spinning frames with empty ones), and in the classroom. When they first started work, many suffered what became known as 'mill fever' before they adjusted to the high temperatures, damp or dusty environments, noise and exhaustion.

One of the dirtiest places to work in the mill was the spinning room. Temperatures were hot and humid and workers tended to be barefoot.

In a study into the health of mill workers in 1852, it was found that spinning room workers were suffering from 'onychia and other diseases of the great toe nail' as a result of their feet getting wet with water impregnated with brass and other metals. They were also found to suffer skin problems.

No weaving shed, noise and humidity were the main discomforts to be endured. The noise was caused by the carding machines, the looms and shuttles, while the dampness and heat was fed in to create the conditions needed for weaving yarn. But at least weavers had the satisfaction of earning higher wage rates than other mill workers.

With such unhealthy work, the mortality rate in the spinning mills and weaving factories was high. In the late 19th century, the average working life was 16.8 years.

A Bleaching Green in Co. Antrim

Bleachers worked at the bleachworks where serious accidents and incidences of fever were fewer than in the spinning mills and weaving factories. Even so, the work was backbreaking. Longer summer daylight hours meant bleachers often worked from 5.30am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 5.30am to 3pm on Saturdays. Less than two hours were allowed for breakfast and dinner.

These long days helped to subsidise the shorter working hours of winter.

A Bleaching Green in County Antrim

Bleachers worked at the bleachworks where serious accidents and incidences of fever were fewer than in the spinning mills and weaving factories. Even so, the work was backbreaking. Longer summer daylight hours meant bleachers often worked from 5.30am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 5.30am to 3pm on Saturdays. Less than two hours were allowed for breakfast and dinner. These long days helped to subsidise the shorter working hours of winter.

These are some of the job titles given to mill workers right up to the 20th century:

Ap iron turner Carder Carding master Carpenter Cleaner Doffer Drawer Doubler Fitter Flax looser Hackler Layer Lorry driver Oiler Packer Piecer Reeler Ring oiler Rover Screwer Spinner Spreader Storeman Sweeper Tenter Tippler Tow baler Trucker Winder Yarn boy Yarn counter Yarn tucker.

Spinning Wheel Entitlement List

These are some of the job titles given to mill workers right up to the 20th century:

Ap iron turner Carder Carding master Carpenter Cleaner Doffer Drawer Doubler Fitter Flax looser Hackler Layer Lorry driver Oiler Packer Piecer Reeler Ring oiler Rover Screwer Spinner Spreader Storeman Sweeper Tenter Tippler Tow baler Trucker Winder Yarn boy Yarn counter Yarn tucker.

In 1796, the Irish Linen Board published its Spinning Wheel Entitlement List (also known as the Flax Growers Bounty ou o Irish Flax Growers List), one of several lists created in response to special initiatives by the Government to encourage the production of linen.

Nearly 1796 List all these initiatives involved giving away spinning wheels and looms to individuals. This list was no exception.

It includes the names of persons who had cultivated a specified acreage of flax plant. Those who had planted one acre were awarded four spinning wheels while five acres of flax plant was rewarded with a loom.

Due to the dearth of pre-1800s nationwide resources for genealogists, this 1796 list is worth consulting as part of your family history research even though it contains no mention of townlands.

It is arranged by civil parish (and occasionally only the barony) and contains the names of nearly 60,000 individuals in all counties of Ireland except Dublin and Wicklow who had sown the required acreages of flax plant.

Related Pages and Quick Links

Related Pages and Quick Links

Although Northern Ireland became known as the Linen Homelands, the flax plant was grown in other parts of the island and there were many big mills outside Ulster.

In the early 1800s, one of the largest, certainly the largest in Munster, was in Clonakilty, Co Cork. It was owned by an Englishman called Dr Elmore and located in Mill Street.

Clonakilty already had a successful association with linen production and even by the 1740s considerable quantities of coarse yarn were being sold at the Friday market. As sales grew, a dedicated Linen Hall was built and by the early 1820s the industry employed more than 10,000 people in the surrounding districts.

Pigot's Directory of 1824 contained the following comments about the local industry: "The description of goods manufactured here is peculiar to the county of Cork and called vitries and twills these are from three quarters to a yard wide and the average in price is from 41/2d to 8d per yard.

"The market is regularly attended by purchasers from Cork and Bandon who buy on commission for the English and Scotch houses and the weekly sales are computed at upwards of £1,000. The market is superintended by Mr.Henry Franks, senior seal master."

It was also noted that apart from Dr Elmore's large factory, most local trade was carried on by persons "of small capital", employing one to four looms.

I confirm that, as stated in this site's Política de Privacidade, I do not sell personal information.


Assista o vídeo: Zakłady Przemysłu Lniarskiego LEN w Kamiennej Górze


Comentários:

  1. Torence

    O que, em tal caso, fazer?

  2. Napier

    Certo! Eu acho que essa é uma ótima ideia.

  3. Ulz

    Na minha opinião, você admite o erro. Posso defender minha posição. Escreva para mim em PM, vamos discutir.

  4. Shagul

    Gostaria de falar sobre publicidade em seu blog.

  5. Tirell

    Sinto muito, mas acho que você está errado. Tenho certeza. Eu posso provar.

  6. Sutherland

    Não posso participar da discussão agora - não há tempo livre. Serei lançado - definitivamente vou expressar minha opinião.

  7. Leighton

    He is very grateful for the assistance in this matter, I would also like something you can help?

  8. Darach

    The debate about this issue seems to be very popular in the context of the financial crisis.

  9. Faetaxe

    Bom aos poucos.



Escreve uma mensagem